Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Friday, November 14, 2008

World Diabetes Day



Today is World Diabetes day in honour of Dr. Frederick Banting's birthday. He is the man who discovered insulin and my personal hero. His birth place is quite near me and it is finally being restored after being saved from a developer's greedy clutches.


Today, across the world, there are places lighting up in blue to honour Banting, and to express unity and hope for a cure for this world pandemic.


Here is the letter I wrote which got published in a special Legacy magazine all about Sir Frederick Banting:




What the Discovery of Insulin Means to Me


To put it quite simply, the discovery of insulin has given me 42 more years of life on this great earth. Banting is definitely one of my heroes along with the co-discoverers.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (Insulin Dependent) at age 13 and was actually in a coma for a few days before the insulin did its magic. I was in the hospital for three months, recovering from my ordeal. The road has not always been smooth, dealing with this condition. I have developed many of the complications associated with diabetes but at the same time, I feel blessed.

Because of the discovery of insulin, I have had the opportunity to grow up through the teenage years, work at a summer camp for children with diabetes for 7 years, achieve a university education to become a teacher who has taught for 30 years, and I was lucky to have met and been married to a wonderful person for 28 years. I was also able to watch my sisters’ children grow up and marry. The many friends I’ve made over the years are precious and my wide circle of friends is quite amazing.

In my eyes, all this has been made possible because of the discovery of insulin. It is important that we continue to praise this Canadian discovery through the Restoration of the Banting Homestead. I say thanks every time I even drive by the sign on the road!

The cost of the restoration of the Banting Homestead? $600, 000.

Cost of the gift to me of insulin? Priceless.




I went to the old homestead if Sir Frederick Banting and I felt amazingly connected to him as I walked the very ground he walked as a young boy.






Here's to you on your birthday Dr. Banting. You will always be my hero!


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did not know - thanks for the reminder and a great contribution.

Great pics - shows the golden beauty of fall!

Wishing you a great end to your week and if you have the time, your welcome over to celebrate with me :-)

Saturday, November 15, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt know about that. My grandfather was diagnosed with diabetes and he died due to complications. I didnt know what type of diabetes he had because I am really closed to my mother's family.

Anyway, hope you have a lovely weekend! TC always

Saturday, November 15, 2008

 
Blogger Akelamalu said...

One of THE great discoveries, you and many others are thankful for :)

Sunday, November 16, 2008

 
Blogger red dirt girl said...

MoI -

You teach me something new each day. Thank you for sharing another piece of the things that you are grateful for. Gee - I really do wish I had a smidgen of your gratitude in the face of insurmountable circumstances.

I'm duly impressed and honored to know you, girlfriend!

xxx
rdm

Sunday, November 16, 2008

 
Blogger GrizzBabe said...

Yaaaay insulin!!!

And metformin.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Bravo to Dr. Banting!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

 
Blogger Jocelyn said...

This post, and the story therein, has moved me.

My dad was diabetic, as was my grandma. I think of my future and of your present, and I agree: he was a hero.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi MOI. I like this post. Thanks. Some great and memorable pictures. Have a great weekend.

Friday, November 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such an amazing man. His work has saved the lives of many. I am equally moved by your words and story. How wonderful that the Banting Homestead is being restored in his memory.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

 
Anonymous custom made pakistani dresses said...

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (Insulin Dependent) at age 13 and was actually in a coma for a few days before the insulin did its magic. I was in the hospital for three months, recovering from my ordeal. The road has not always been smooth, dealing with this condition. I have developed many of the complications associated with diabetes but at the same time, I feel blessed.

Friday, December 04, 2020

 

Post a Comment

<< Home