Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Happy Retirement!

Yesterday, at my elementary school, there was a tea for three teachers, including one of my best friends. She is also moving 45 minutes away so I shall really miss her and all our impromptu lunches and shopping outings. Never thought I'd say this but, thank goodness we can still e-mail! (see an earlier post, "Ode To E-mail"!)

As always happens with these celebrations, I am asked to get up and do "My Roast-Mimic Thing" I love doing! I am told that I am so funny that I should be a stand-up comic. I don't really think so, but it's just so natural for me to "honour" and celebrate who people are with a light-hearted, affectionate, roast-type presentation.

To imitate the person in situations the way people really see them is just pure fun for me! It is so neat to see anyone see themselves and laugh! To me, this is an important aspect of life..to be able to just poke fun at yourself, get a kick out of who you are, and then love yourself all the more.

I had particular fun with this gal's because she has so many interesting and truly funny facets of personality. Indeed, I had a ton of good material to work with so it practically wrote itself! Her husband was there and it was neat to see him, as well as everyone else in the room, just breaking up every few minutes. I think he caught a glimpse of her "other life" and how others see her, appreciating her all the more! This is always an important thing for a spouse or partner to see.

It was really gratifying for me to have done such a unique contribution to the program and once again, I had affirmation that I am a valuable member of the teaching staff.
Everyone needs to feel that they are all part of the whole team, on board the same ship together.

To all retiring teachers out there, have a good one!
I hope someone honoured you in a special way.

Mother of Invention, thinking, I'm right behind you....in 3 years!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

You sound like an incredible extrovert. Have you ever taken the Myers Briggs personality test?

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

No, I haven't...but wonder what it would tell me! I'm actually shy, at first, until I feel out people and situations. I've been at this school for 6 years so I am very comfortable with these people and have already cut loose! HA!
I'm not a leader with discussions at staff meetings etc....I'm more the Social-Emotional-Tone-Setter Leader...which is way more fun! I crack one-liner comments and then everyone has a much-needed laugh...comic relief!

Friday, June 16, 2006

 
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

What fun! Both of my parents were teachers (my dad still is, my mom retired first chance she got).

Friday, June 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It is a ton of fun! I try to relate to kids in a similar way just so I can connect and make the classroom a warm, fuzzy and supportive place to just be yourself. It's all part of my philosophy of helping people celebrate who they are!

Bet your mom's a real happy person now! What did she teach and what does your dad teach?

Friday, June 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mother of Invention, for honouring me not only in your "roast", but also on your blog site. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote about the importance of people being able to laugh at themselves. You put a lot of work into preparing your "roast" material and you delivered it eloquently and with perfect comedic timing. You were the hit of the tea!

Friday, June 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks, STBR! I'm glad you saw this! I loved doing it and you were so easy to roast....such an abundance of material! HA!

Friday, June 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home