Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Look to Our Inukshuks




It is said that those who are trying to find their way, look for an Inukshuk, the figure built of stones in the folklore of the Inuit people. If you are lost, the arms of the Inukshuk will point the way home.

We all get a little lost along the way sometimes and look for the Inukshuks in our lives -- our signposts to guide us back. These can be simple events in our lives or even in the lives of others. It could be something someone says or does that just grabs you and does not necessarily have to be the words or actions of a significant person either. The smallest of things could be the most pivotal in effecting a change that brings us to the road we need to follow, whether that be the old road from which we strayed, or a new road altogether.

I love the symbol of the Inukshuk and had been looking for one on a necklace for several years. The very idea that if I wore one, I might find my way a little more easily, enchanted me. What a wonderful surprise when a really close friend gave me a shining silver one for my last birthday! It was a truly touching gift and I cherish it, although it has yet to work its magic!!

Maybe it’s because I haven’t built my own yet. My goal was to build a meaningful Inukshuk out of the stones I brought back from my favourite summer place on the shores of the Dumoine River. For some reason, these carefully picked stones are still in bags in the pantry. I guess I need help to construct and fit the individual stones where they belong, and I am a little shy of the hot glue gun!

Perhaps the Inukshuk struggles as I do to find its way, having found so many roads for others. Who or what will guide it?

Maybe we all play a part in showing each other the way. The Inukshuk may show me that I should continue helping and teaching others of all ages, and simply keep being there for my family and friends.

It will probably tell me to keep sharing my kindred spirit with everyone; my humour and laughter, my songs and stories, my strong reflections and ponderings, and my keen sense of wonder about the many things in this world. The natural empathy I have endears me to many special people. It draws me in, creating a powerful thirst and desire to connect closely with them for a time so that I can feel that I play a purposeful part of their lives.

I like to travel on this familiar road. But sometimes I wander and lose my way or maybe the road loses me. And when I feel sad and sense that I am merely watching everyone from the periphery, dancing their daily lives, I hope an Inukshuk or someone with the same guiding spirit will beckon and show me the way into the centre of The Circle to share my own dance, and perhaps even join in one of theirs for a time.


Mother of Invention, looking to her Inukshuks




6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I really identify with your writing. You sound so much like my friend Reya in many ways. I would love to meet you some day, some place. We'll have to work on that.

Friday, June 09, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

Sometimes when things are very special to us (like your rocks) the special moment to do something with them or about it has to come, and no other time will be right. Maybe the moment just hasn't come yet. Maybe you should make a plan to build it on a day that you know is special? Like a birthday or a full moon?
Anywhoo, I'm here from Michele's! I almost skipped you by mistake!

Friday, June 09, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Thanks so much! Yes, I love reading what you have to say too. I'll also have to check out your friend's writing. Writing is the main way I get all that is rolling around inside my brain and heart outta there and into a concrete form. Then, for me, it has substance and validates itself...but it's always nice to have someone else read it and have the same effect!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bobelia: I'm glad you didn't skip me! Thanks for the advice..maybe the day will choose itself and just let me know! Hope it's soon! Never thought of a full moon. Rocks have always been special to me..I used to collect them along the road when I was very young..I called them, "My Beauty Stones"!!

Please visit again and I'll return the visit too!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

How marvelous! I have a feeling that, when the time is right, the inukshuk will be built.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: Yes, I suppose the time will choose itself..I'd just like it to step up the timeline but I guess you can't rush that feeling coming!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home