Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hunting Mode!


My cat, Socks, is definitely in her spring/summer hunting mode! In this picture, she is seen in her favourite perch, on top of our Pathfinder, scouting the skies and the next door neighbour's roof for birds!

Well, my husband learned the lesson of "checking your cat's mouth before you let her in" big time, yesterday! It seems she had a huge Downey Woodpecker in her mouth, which she promptly let go as soon as she entered the house!

Naturally, this was followed by absolute havoc; yelling of husband, wife freaking out, bird flying off madly in all directions, cat meowing, and other cat, Mooky giving chase! Then, rapid closing of all bedroom doors, which finally had the bird trapped in the bathroom. I heard dishes breaking on the floor, yes, nice antique toothbrush holder! Husband emerges from bathroom, bird in hand under a washcloth, all accompanied by the loudest squawking sound you've ever heard! (Not to mention MY sound effects!)

A quick trip down the stairs and the "Catch and Release" protocol of bird-hunting was observed as the woodpecker was "Shown the Door"!! Whew! All this in a three minute time span!

Everything was unscathed, oh, except for the oak staircase which was christened with fresh bird poop! Can't say I really blamed him...and my husband redeemed himself by wiping it up!

Mother of Invention, doing mouth checks religiously now!

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Ew, ew, ew! I have an indoor cat, so thankfully this has never happened to me. I too would scream...but loudly!

Here via Michele's. Great photo, by the way!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

My husband is very, very allergic to cats, so we can't have one - luckily I don't have to deal with this issue, although I would love to have a cat.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Robin said...

all my cats are indoor cats, now, but when I was growing up, we learned a special muffled "mrrhhhow" that the cats did that meant they were meowing around a bundle! Socks is a beautiful girl...maybe a pretty quick release collar with a bell would give the birdies a better chance? Thanks for the visit, earlier!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Karen: Thanks! I'm getting better with my camera and she is a very pretty subject! Visit again sometime! Michelle's site is very dynamic, eh? Must take a lot of time!


Teri: Your poor husband! How awful not to be able to have cats! They add so much to our lives, especially since we don't have Real kids! Hmm! Husband or cats?! Would be a tough decision!! HA!

Robin: Yes! I know that exact meow! My old cat, Soot, used to do that when he wanted us to come down and congratulate him on his catch! Too funny! We used to have a collar but our vet said she's seen too many active outdoor cats get hung on them and the quick release seem to release a little too easily! I don't know how she got a woodpecker! They're usually up in the trees! Thanks!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm so glad the bird was alright!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

Oh dear!!
It reminds me of a time I got pried a mouse out of the dog's mouth!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: So are we! We feel so guilty when the bird population goes down just because of our love of felines! It was a beautiful specimen of Downey with that tell-tale red strip on its head.

Bobealia: Wow! I didn't know that dogs were mousers! That must have been some tug-of-war for you! Guess the mouse was toast, eh?!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger Lys said...

OH. My. GOD! TOO CUTE. Shadow would be so jealous... she's no longer a hunter. Now she has a love affair with her lizard through the back window. Very Romeo & Juliet *LOL*

Your cats are adorable!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks, Lys! We think they are too! They are so spoiled...lucky things!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lys: Love affair with a lizaed?! Now that's too funny!

Friday, June 23, 2006

 
Blogger Ash Green said...

Thanks for such a nice content. Apppreciate it :)
Cheers
If anyone interested similar one's have a look here the shoesfinder thanks

Sunday, October 06, 2019

 

Post a Comment

<< Home