Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Monday, September 15, 2008

A Texan Wedding!









Hi y'all!

Just blew in from Texas last night with Ike behind us! We actually got spared the big stuff down there for the wedding with just wind and rain but there was an anxiety element for sure in out hotel which was full of evacuees from Houston and Galveston. All TV's were on the Weather Net. and we were fully expecting power outages. Funny that when we came home late last night, we had no power due to high winds. Ironically, we had the flashlights for Ike in our suitcases so had to get those out as went in the house!

Fabulous wedding weekend! We were there by noon on Fri. and hung out in the hot sun by the pool for a bit before the pool party BBQ at my niece's condo. Neat idea so that everyone could meet and mingle with the same folks we'd be seeing at all the events and in the hotel. The wedding took place at a heritage site similar to our Black Creek Pioneer Village and the church was small and quaint. (You can see my dad waving from the doorway in one of the pics to come!) They had a stringed quartet playing at the front. The vows had a comical tone when they included to "help with the cleaning" in both of their vows! Wise move inclusion!

The reception was at a downtown Dallas Art Centre and the dancing after the wonderful meal,was the big hit. Mom and dad were seen on the dance floor often, and not only for the old swing tunes either! The wedding cake topper was the best; Karen, the hockey queen with our flag and Pete, the golf guy with the US flag.
We had a wedding brunch the next morning at the hotel where afterwards, everyone was reluctant to break the magic bubble of the whole weekend with good-byes. By now, we felt we all knew each other. It was neat for my whole family to be on a plane together, having just spent the entire weekend at the same places. I am sure it is a once-in-a-lifetime event for us and will be treasured by all.

(My pics aren't great but I just wanted to share what I have. I seriously need lessons!)

Then, I got to finally meet a real live blogger! I constantly read about all you bloggers meeting up with each other and here I am stuck in far away Canada. I don't travel much at all. What were the chances that I'd ever be going to any city where any of you lived? It turns out that Steve, at Bullet Holes In The Mail Box, lives in Texas. It was a busy weekend so we only got to meet at the airport for a short time but we'll do at least a cup of coffee next time!









Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend - and I loved your pics! So glad you were spared the worst of Ike.
And how, very, very cool to meet a fellow blogger!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 
Blogger Akelamalu said...

What a great weekend you had and got to meet a fellow blogger too! Love the photos. :)

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 
Blogger Clowncar said...

Wow, quite literally "blew in from Texas" huh?

Sounds like a fun wedding. Aren't they all?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 
Blogger Beverly said...

I'm so glad you missed the hurricane. Isn't that the way, though, to come home to no electricity! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with family.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how much this trip and to be able to participate on this wedding meant to you and I'm so happy for you.

Looks like a great wedding too and I really think the pictures looks nice so I enjoyed watching them and thank you for sharing.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 
Blogger TorAa said...

Thank for for sharing this great event.
It's so important we can share such great moments from and with family and friends.

Hope we can share as well from the 3x20 event Saturday to come.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

 
Blogger storyteller said...

Welcome back! I’m delighted to know your health allowed you to make the trip and that the weather didn’t spoil any of the festivities. I enjoyed the photos … and reading about your adventures. How fun to actually meet a ‘virtual friend’ in the real world! When you’re unpacked, rested and settled at home again … drop by Small Reflections where I’ve left something especially for you … and many more other ‘goodies’ today. Feel free to ‘snag & share’ any and/or all!!!
Hugs and blessings,

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

I've never been more pleased to meet anybody ever!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

 
Blogger fennymun said...

A nice wedding indeed!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm so glad you were able to go to the wedding! And I'm glad Ike didn't interrupt the ceremony.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

 
Blogger Christina Kim said...

Looks like it's so much fun out there...:D
Weddings are always nice!~

Friday, September 19, 2008

 
Blogger Bobbie said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time down in Texas, and so nice that you got to meet a fellow blogger.
I love the cake topper!

Friday, September 19, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a wonderful time. I am so happy that everything went so well. Thank goodness Ike didn't get to put much of a damper on things. And how funny to have needed the flashlights on your arrival home. :-)

Sunday, September 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that Canadian flag the bride on the cake is holding. Just went a Floyd style wedding myself this weekend.

Monday, September 22, 2008

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I just realized there was a picture of old Bulletholes in this post of yours. I'm so glad you were able to connect with him. He looks just as i would have imagined!

Sunday, September 28, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home