Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Poetry Friday: DOG


Gary, the Potter gave the word.... or was it Penny's?!!



DOG
man's best friend
you faithfully follow me around
and around
and around
inevitably ending up at the food bowl
chowing down Purina dry kibble
(Hairball Remedy?!)
not-so-silently-sipping
(or is that slurping ?)
from the gargantuan water bow
the kind you feed cattle from
and are heated in the frigid barn
those large innocent eyes
(how do you get your eyeliner so straight?)
I fall for every time
as you implore me
to give you a treat
having done no trick whatsoever
except the one you just pulled on me
you continue to whine
until I scratch all your favourite places
your behind rises
to meet the hand stroking it
your hind legs now fully extended
you wind in and out of my legs
getting underfoot
making it impossible
to negotiate the stairs in this house
suddenly you fix your stare at the ceiling
for fifteen minutes
I follow it and see the tiniest of ladybugs
slowly trekking across the light fixture
you BEG
to be let out at the back
and in two minutes dash in the front
always on the wrong side of the door
I try to stealthily slip away
under your radar to the mailbox
smugly I sneak a look behind me
only to find you prancing towards me
across the parking lot
heeding not my commands
to GO HOME!
you smother me with unconditional love
and yet can be moody and aloof
a real contradiction in terms-
you dog in cat's clothing!




If I could add whiskers, I would and it kinda looks like the shape of Socks!
Dedicated to Socks, who thinks she's a dog sometimes!
















(That stupid ladybug keeps her occupied for hours!!)







Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Akelamalu said...

They know just what to do to get you to do what they want!

Friday, May 09, 2008

 
Blogger Lynette said...

Awwwww, I love cats too and Whiskers has the cutest face. Cats are just the most amazing creatures ever. I love your Dog poem too!

Friday, May 09, 2008

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Dogs are the greatest! Sorry, Socks...

Saturday, May 10, 2008

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Barbara - dogs are the greatest, and yes, apologies to Socks! :-) So enjoyed your poem, brought a big grin to my face!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dogs or cats - I can't decide, but yours are real cute for sure!

Happy Mother's Day dear blog friend :-)

Sunday, May 11, 2008

 
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Great poem but even greater pictures!!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Okay, all you dog people...! I probably COULD have been a dog person but I've just never had one. I could so easily fall for any kind of puppy!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie Socks is!
I once had a Maine Coone who fetched little tin foil rolls. I swear he was more dog than cat.. at least when he chose to be. :-)

Sunday, May 11, 2008

 
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Perfect description of dogs!

Monday, May 12, 2008

 
Blogger Julie said...

Bloggers are set to blog for peace June 4, 2008.
I invite you to join me - and a cast of incredible bloggers - as we mark our world with a promise of peace. Bloggers from around the globe will participate in the fourth launch of BlogBlast for Peace.. I hope you will participate again in this growing phenomenon. Click the link below to learn how to get your peace globe.
Your blog. One post. One day.
BlogBlast For Peace: A Revolution of Words
If words are powerful, then this matters.
Peace,
Mimi Lenox
P.S. You are officially peace globe #327 in the Peace Globe Gallery.

Brought to you by Mimi’s little peace helpers.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

 
Blogger GrizzBabe said...

What cute kitties!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

 
Blogger Dave said...

I have never liked cats but dog... Love 'em! :-)

Thursday, May 15, 2008

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi MOI! Cats or dogs? They make great companions.

I enjoy this though: "you smother me with unconditional love
and yet can be moody and aloof
a real contradiction in terms-
you dog in cat's clothing!" Haha!

Have a good weekend.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home