Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Friday, April 04, 2008

Poetry Friday: AWAY

Mona wishes she were far away so gave us the word!
This is dedicated to people who have ever had a monkey on their back at work or just hanging out wherever. Can you relate? Luckily, this is a distant memory for me!

STAY AWAY!
I can not seem to shake this horrible monkey off my back
Seems it loves to tell me about everything I lack!
Maybe even "lives" to tell would be the proper word
And I can make no sense of it because it's so absurd.
Seems that I am always in its perfect line of vision
This primate then can set to make an accurate incision!

The knife is deftly held and it slices very deep
And I am trying hard not to crumple in a heap.
But just when I get standing tall to get on with my day
The monkey gets a firmer grip and will not go away.
Sharpening the tool again for just another cut
It thinks it hasn't done enough so twists it in my gut.

I pull it out and wipe it off and throw it out the door,
Give monkey time to settle down and bother me no more.
It could be that I think it's there when it is really not,
And all those dreaded matters weren't as bad as I had thought.
So if a monkey's on your back, hang in a little longer,
It's sure to take a giant leap once you're a whole lot stronger.


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger NicciN said...

This post gave me an interesting epiphany about my relationship to my monkey. I spend so much time fighting the monkey, wanting it to go away. Somehow in reading this I just got a new perspective on the monkey. The monkey is a part of me that needs attention. Like a little kid, the more I am ignoring my monkey, the more it is acting out to get my attention.

What if I could start to accept, love and play with my little monkey?
What if I could stop judging myself for having a monkey?
What if I could thank the monkey for being a messenger that I need to turn inside a little?

Could it really work like that? Hmmm... Thanks for stirring this pot of thoughts in me!!

PS -- love the song on your blog.

Friday, April 04, 2008

 
Blogger Clowncar said...

Good poem. I love this couplet:
Seems that I am always in its perfect line of vision / This primate then can set to make an accurate incision!

And, nice floors! Congrats on the remodel!

Friday, April 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So accurate, so well said - I really can relate.
Actually a great reminder: life is what you make it and you have your own choice.

Wishing you a great weekend!

Friday, April 04, 2008

 
Blogger storyteller said...

Wonderful poem about a topic that ‘resonates’ with most of us I suspect. Like you … this is more of a distant memory for me, but I do get ‘caught up in’ such thoughts briefly from time to time even today. I love the points made and questions posed by Yertle in her comment. Shifting perspective is, of course, always an option ... and it's good to remind ourselves (and one another) of this fact ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Saturday, April 05, 2008

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved the humour intrinsic to this piece, despite the monkey's destructiveness. And boy, can monkeys, real and otherwise, wreak havoc!

Saturday, April 05, 2008

 
Blogger Lynette said...

Very powerful words in this poem MOI and I was thinking the 'monkey' was something to do with pain or a personal struggle.

Monday, April 07, 2008

 
Blogger goatman said...

You know that this could be a fine rap?
I just saw four guys in the green zone (Link TV), three black guys and a white guy, rapping about their view of the war. It was quite the set of poems.

About the old house: the farm kids are usually gone after high school. Noone here but us old guys. But my neighbor collects pictures of "orbs" which are alledged to be spirits captured digitally after dark with the flash near a place where death has taken place. I may try picturing the old house in this regard!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

 
Blogger TorAa said...

Those Monkeys are terrible and very non-productive and a disaster as inspirators.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all mastering one kind of monkey or another.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

 
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

That's my problem! The monkey! I've been wondering what's wrong...!

Great post!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home