Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Friday, March 28, 2008

Poetry Friday: Surprise




Another surprise word from MONA



You've got what it takes

You satisfy my sweet tooth-

well any tooth really

You're a real Cracker Jack, you are

A SURPRISE in every package

Take me out to the ball game

I always wondered where the ring came from!




And now that I'm thinking about them....



Cracker Jack


the original box

caramel coated popcorn crunch

and peanuts

glued together with the sweetest cement

a veritable dentist's delight

"Toy Surprise Inside!"

Whad ya get?! Whad ya get?!!



Simple fare this week but it's the first image that came to mind and I still love it. I was always a sucker for a free prize inside cereal and gumball machines. I can't really remember anything great but I sent away for all kinds of stuff like a Koolaid jug, Tony The Tiger Socks with padded paws and his neckerchief,a Cheerios mug and bowl, a Mickey Mouse Club hat, a Crystal Light T-shirt, Jello molds, and I don't know what all. I still scout for cool free things.

What's the greatest free prize or send-away thing you ever got?



Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

I LOVED Crackerjack! My brother and I would always fight over which prize was best....

What's the greatest send-away thing I ever got? A red plastic Kool-Aid canteen, after saving up like a jillion empty drink powder packets, and mailing them to Kankakee Illinois. I toted that thing around everywhere for several summers. Oh, I wish I had it back!

Friday, March 28, 2008

 
Blogger TorAa said...

No doubt
-my best friend also my wife

ps. when can I hear your song live?

Friday, March 28, 2008

 
Blogger Clowncar said...

Crackerjack rules. Though the surprises aren't as good as they used to be.

Coolest thing I ever got was a Mr. Bubble beach towel.

Friday, March 28, 2008

 
Blogger Beverly said...

How lovely to see you posting! I love your Easter photos. I'm sure that I sent away for something, but right now nothing comes to mind...
must be Oldtimer's Disease.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

 
Blogger Pauline said...

I got a doll in the mail with oatmeal box tops. I still have her!

My mother sent away for all sorts of things - she once got a cloth doll made to look like the Jolly Green Giant and it scared my small daughter (the recipient) so thoroughly that she burst into tears at the sight of it.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

 
Blogger storyteller said...

Gosh … I’ve not thought about Cracker Jacks for years … but your poem was a fun reminder of ‘dayz gone bye’ … and ‘surprises’ we enjoyed as kids … so thanks for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,

Sunday, March 30, 2008

 
Blogger Unknown said...

So now I finally know what Crackerjack is! Thank you! I first heard the word in Breakfast at Tiffany's and have wondered for years what Crackerjack is and about the rin found in the box.
Thanks for that delightful bit of enlightenment!
:-)

Sunday, March 30, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Cracker Jacks.. a blast from the past.
I don't think I ever sent away for any sort of prize.. but I did win a free front door at the home show once. Now that was fun!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

 
Blogger Lynette said...

Ah gee MOI, you just made me crave some cracker jacks! :) I used to love buying a box of those and finding the free toy inside. I haven't gotten anything free good lately. I did get a free sample of Special K protien water mix in my box of cereal but gave it to my daughter.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

i sent out for a Bowling Alley....or maybe it was a Used Car Lot?...but i never did get them....

I still sing the little jingle to myself
"Piddlywack and gigglysack and fiddlyback and ohh crackerjacks! candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize-thats what you get with crackerjack!"

You know Sailor Jacks dog Bingo? You know he had a song named after him too!
Hi Mom!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home