Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Ever Done The Flip Side of Breakfast?

Come on, fess up! I refuse to believe that I’m the only one who does this! Please tell me that, at least you’ve tried it. Ever since I had even a few baby teeth and could chew, I have maintained that eating toast upside down is the only way to go.

This, of course, is based on actual scientific data about which I knew nothing when I first developed my theory at age five. I choose to think of it as highly intelligent that I gathered all this anecdotal-experiential evidence to uphold my theory that eating one’s toast upside down was indeed the best way to really taste it. (My sisters and parents would vehemently disagree!) But remember that science can rationalize this most unusual behaviour.

What kid doesn’t love toast piled high with peanut butter and jam slopped on right to the ceiling? And what about the liquid honey from that neat bear dispenser? Old Colony Maple Syrup was the best! Don’t forget that lemon butter you could pour! I had all of it several times a day. And, having the sweet tooth that I had, I soon discovered that when I turned it over and ate it upside down, I’d get that sensational sugar hit directly and immediately upon contact with my tongue. Wow! What a hit it was! Everyone thought I was some crazy kid, telling me to stop. ("Mom! She’s doin’ that weird thing with the toast again!") But I held on tightly to my conviction.

Now we all had very long hair done in braids back then and some of us still have those beautiful locks in an old Eaton’s bag at my mom’s. Unfortunately, for little girls who ate toast upside down, this was not even a remote possibility. Seemingly, with every piece of toast I ate, there were globs of sticky gunk that dripped down, adhering to every part of my hair that was in its trajectory! And now for the "flip side" of all of this!

Horrified and embarrassed, my mom took me to a barber; he set me on the booster seat, and hacked off those braids in one fell swoop with what I imagined to be a rusty old ax! My turn to be horrified! And at a place where BOYS in my class got their brush cuts!

But hold on! It still makes sense to me. Those diagrams of where all the different taste glands of the tongue are situated explain it perfectly. At the front of the tongue are the taste buds that act as receptors for sweet tastes, and match up exactly with where all that sugar-glue makes contact WHEN we do the flip side of toast! There you go my sweet sisters! What a remarkable theorist for a five-year-old eh?!!

I implore you to try it just once and you’ll never eat it the "correct" way ever again!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to put a piece of my favourite bread in the toaster, right after I put my hair up!



Mother of Invention, hair in a ponytail, anticipating the sweet sensation of my childhood!

16 Comments:

Blogger Lynnea said...

I've never tried this. It makes total sense though. But how come you couldn't just wash your hair?

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? I'm almost convinced. I remember reading Erma Brombeck when I was younger ask why when you drop your peanutbutter and jelly toast it ALWAYS falls jelly side down.

I do browse books from back to forward but I have no explanation for this.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Maggie: It does make sense to me still! It was too much for my mom to try and get gum out...I screamed at the best of times while she combed my tangly hair!

Colleen: Try it! You'll lke it! Dr. Seuss' Lomax book talks about this and when I read it to kids at school I'd bring a piece out when I came to that part and start eating it upside down!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

I've always done it! With garlic bread and pizza, too, unless I'm in the company of others who would think I'm impossibly weird.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: Yah! I knew you were cool!I'm going to try it with pizza now, and how about hamburgers?! You can do that in my company anytime! HA!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

I don't recall eating toast like that. Sometimes I will eat cake like that – finishing off the icing first.

I know my kids (especially Jason) have a habit of eating the sweet stuff off food and leaving the base behind. It is something that is unimaginable to me. I hate to see any food wasted – even if it is only a pizza crust.

Fortunately, I have never had such a short hair cut - despite my dad wanting me to get such a short trim for summer. My dad's hair is very fine and short, it looks more like it is painted on his scalp than actually grown there.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Just try eating toast like that once and you'll convert! It's the best! I can't stand wasting food either, especially sweet stuff!

You're lucky you never had that short hair! For girls in the 50's, it was a well-known pixie cut! Mine was a little hastily done, I'm afraid!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

Such a bright girl you are!
I am going to try mine right side up, but I will be standing on my head...oughta get a pretty good sugar rush there doncha' know!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

Never upside down-just made sure that the jelly, honey or syrup covered one end to the other!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Steve: My sisters still think I was a stupid little weird kid, but thanks! And you must be one agile guy if you can still stand on your head...AND eat toast! Clever guy, too! The sugar rush is what we aim for!

Old Lady: Yep, you sure didn't want to skimp on any of the Toppings! You were a loser if you got stuck with the "scrapings" of an almost empty peanut butter jar!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

hehehehe,
I never even knew people chose which way to eat the toast.
I don't even know what I do.
I think I eat it dressed side up.
I eat it every day, but I never thought about the procedure.
But boy! You can tell we are from the same timeframe of childhood though.
I just bought my lemon butter, and one for my son Alex. We are the lemon butter eaters in our home. We only get it now, when the weather is cold and the bricks stay damp.
Ummmmm. Toast......I have never understood the cereal eaters. :)

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynn: Most people eat it right side up...only know of 2 people who do it my way! (Diana at the top here is one!)
I'd love to get some of that first lemon butter but they don't make it anymore,although E.D. Smith's is pretty good! You could pour it and it was deep yellow with a lemon on the green and white label. I think it was made by Shiriff (Quebec and they used to make marmalade). If you ever see some, let me know!!

Thursday, October 05, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What a great memory to have. I'll have to try some upside down toast. I've been craving some cinnamon toast as of late anyway.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

Mmmmm, I see what you mean now, about upside down toast! I remember doing that once when I was a kid, and getting a right rolicking for spilling (I think it was home-made strawberry jam) all down my front!

I'm guessing what you call lemon butter is what we call lemon curd - yummy! I'd forgotten about that... I think I'll have to get some next shop!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

oh, just remembered, you didn't know how to do a link in the post? easy (well, on my edit screen it is anyhow)!

You highlight the words you want to link somewhere, say "Annelisa" in the 'compose window' of your 'create post' box. Then there's a button at about the center of the bar where all the 'bold' italics' 'font' stuff is - I personally think it looks like a green bull with horns, but it is actually the 'link' button...

So, with the words highlighted, you click the link button, and it prompts you with "http://"
This is where you can either type in the address of the linked page, or you can go the other page (or if you've got a link already on your page - right click it, go down to 'properties' and copy the 'address') and copy the address from the top of the page, or wherever you've got it, and paste it in the link box. All you do then is click 'OK' and it's linked!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Annelisa: Yes! That lemon curd is wonderful! I love it on toast and with peanut butter!

Thanks for link instructions...I'll try them soon when I have lots of time for trial and error!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home