Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Great Daily Message

I subscribe to this daily inspirational e-mail from www.whitebison.org. They come from various Native American elders. I find most them just good reminders for how we should all live in harmony with the world; nature and the people, as well as praying to whomever you believe The Creator is. They all stress that we have choices and need guidance to follow the right path. All of them end with a prayer to The Creator which relates to the message for the day. I like that they are so universal.


Elder's Meditation of the Day - September 18

"I walk in and out of many worlds."
--Joy Harjo, CREEK/CHEROKEE


In my mind are many dwellings. Each of the dwellings we create ourselves - the house of anger, the house of despair, the house of self pity, the house of indifference, the house of negative, the house of positive, the house of hope, the house of joy, the house of peace, the house of enthusiasm, the house of cooperation, the house of giving. Each of these houses we visit each day. We can stay in any house for as long as we want. We can leave these mental houses any time we wish. We create the dwelling, we stay in the dwelling, we leave the dwelling whenever we wish. We can create new rooms, new houses. Whenever we enter these dwellings, this becomes our world until we leave for another. What world will we live in today?


Creator, no one can determine which dwelling I choose to enter. No one has the power to do so, only me. Let me choose wisely today.



Mother of Invention

9 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Good philosophy!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

It is very nice and a good way to look at things.

However (do I always have to disagree?), it implies full control and choice over our emotional and mental states (something which is part of Stoic philosophy as well), however, I know from personal experience that there are times when we are not in control of our emotional and mental states - it is very disturbing.

Most people could benefit from this type of attitude.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Yes, it is one to aim for at any rate.

Richard: In a perfect world type thing, right? I agree! It is an over-simplification...I am bound by feelings and are quick to respond by emotion so initially, my reactions are not always the ones I choose, but once I have time to think, I can use this philosophy to better guide my overall outlook on what I do with my reaction. A combination platter!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I love the symbolism of the Native Americans. They see nature and life on an entirely different plane than I do most of the time. This idea of the different houses with their multiple rooms is so brilliant.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 
Blogger Stephen Newton said...

Your posting is so perfect for me right now. Thanks also for the wise words you left as a comment. You're right that it sounded like lyrics to a familiar song...are you musical?

Thursday, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Stephen: Good timing then! Yes, I am musical and actually, I was being funny with myself (I know it's odd because no one else would get it but me but it was fun!) I actually wrote a poem starting with that line and later put it to a tune, and then recorded a demo Cd in a friend's studio just to try it.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

Good perspective. I have always believed that we choose our attitudes. I like being able to know that I can choose to have a good day.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Glad you exercise your choice...it is hard sometimes!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

Thanks alot for this. I'll definitely have to subscribe!

Friday, September 22, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home