Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Falls In My Life


What is it about falling and moving water
that fascinates us?

Is it the power and infinite energy suggested by such motion and turbulence? The roaring, rushing sound that renders our voices mute? The rawness of nature? The sheer beauty and aesthetic appeal of water trickling or cascading over ancient rocks? I'm not sure why but they seem to draw us in close to stare in awe at their magnificence.

I see these same two falls every year and I still take pictures. It is as if I need to document any changes in the dynamics of these familiar constants in my life. Maybe they act as a stable frame of reference in which everything else fits.


Mother of Invention, wondering if you have a special place in which you visit some scenic falls.

7 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I have no special place I like to go.

When I lived in Montreal, I used to like to go the airport and watch the planes.

When I Lived in Toronto, I used to like to bike in the ravines.

When I lived near Williamstown, Ontario - erm, I used to go to Montreal.

When I Lived in Ottawa, I used to like to walk around behind the parliament buildings.

Friday, September 08, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I agree that there is nothing more powerful than water to remind us of our small place in the universe. The pulsing power of a giant waterfall is so obvious. But the sound of water from a broken pipe has its own powerful impact. Water -- an integral part of our ability to exist...

Friday, September 08, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

I went to the Smokey Mountains in Asheville, NC and went to the mountain and falls there. They were the same ones in "Last of the Mohicans". Small but beautiful. You have been tagged!

Friday, September 08, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Your special place is wherever you are, I guess. And logically, that makes YOU the special common denominator! Cool. A great view from the Parliament buildings.

Barbara: There is something about that sound that nudges us about several things.... and that its presence in the world is affirmed.

Old Lady: Sounds gorgeous! And if I remember it from the movie, it is! (Now I want to rent it again!) Thanks for the tag. I'll do it soon!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

 
Blogger rashbre said...

These are some beautiful spots. Althought I have visited Canada a few times, it has always been to cities for business; there is a lot of beautiful scenery too!

rashbre

Saturday, September 09, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

That first picture is absolutely stunning! One of the constants in my life that I always feel the need to take pictures of is the Mississippi River. Where I go to see it, it flows lazily by. I love how peaceful and constant it is.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Thanks! It has a neat colourful rainbowish effect in one spot. Hope you post some pics of the Mississippi River, or maybe you have already once before I started reading?

Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home