Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A Wealth of Apples!




The new crop of apples is flooding in and I'm crunching away even as I type! I come by it honestly...I'm a gal who was brought up in a place called, "Applewood Acres" outside of Toronto. Applewood Public School...Applewood Church... Applewood Plaza... you get the idea. It was absolutely a "Leave It To Beaver" idyllic and wholesome neighbourhood.

The streets were all named after varieties of apples such as Snow Crescent, Russet Road, Melba Court, Macintosh Way and Tolman Avenue. As the subdivision was originally a huge apple orchard, each house was lucky enough to have at least six healthy trees that actually still bore delicious fruit. As you can imagine, every teacher at Applewood Acres Public School had a desk covered with about 35 apples each day during the month of September!

We had a variety called Wealthy. Of course, I may be biased because I have such fond childhood memories of living there, but these apples are the best! My guess is that you have never heard of them. They are large, red on one side, and taste tart enough to be a great cooking apple, but sweet enough to be a mouthwatering eating apple. (I have to admit that I have also had my share of small, green, unripened apples in the spring too, but these no longer appeal to me! Neither does the stomach ache that accompanied this crazed eating ritual of my youth!) They ripen in late August and they are extremely difficult to find! If you ever come across them, you just have to try them! (And I always maintain that the first bite is the best!)

Imagine my delight when I found a source only 20 minutes away! I have bought myself and my parents a delicious trip down memory lane!


Mother of Invention, still wondering what my teachers ever did with all those apples!

15 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

In about 2 weeks we're going to hit the apple orchard about 20 minutes away. I'll see if I can find an apple to rival that one!

MmmmmBOY!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

I went to the mountains north of Atlanta one year in October, apple stands everywhere!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I'll bet you make a mean apple pie! Apples are definitely a sign of fall for me. I loved to go apple picking when the children were younger. I may just have to go again this year without them!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

I used to love apples when I was younger, but, somehow, over the past few years my taste for apples has diminished. Maybe it has to do with my wife's insistence on buying red delicious (which I consider to be the most horrible tasting, textured apple ever). I used to be partial to Macintosh and Granny Smith.

I remember a few years back (maybe 8 years now), there was a wonderful year for apples, they seemed extra firm and crisp that year. A coworker had noticed it as well, so I am not likely deluded.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: Have fun picking! You'll be hard-pressed to find its rival but they have so many more varieties now, you just might luck out!

Old Lady: Funny, I usually think of apples growing in lowlands. My old neighbourhood was near Lake Ontario.

Barbara: Yes, get out there and do the most seasonal activity there is. I make a great apple crisp but I leave the pies to my mom! Never got the hang of making good crust!

Richard: I don't mind Delicious but they're only good when first picked, their shelf life seems short and they do pulpy or mushy. Early and Jersey Macs are very good so go right now and get some!
Can't recall the apple crop 8 years ago but I believe you!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 
Blogger LBA said...

MmMmm.

I tend to be a boring "Granny Smith" lover too .. but then, my knowledge of apples is limited to commercial markets ...

Friday, September 01, 2006

 
Blogger LBA said...

oops ! Forgot to mention I have popped in from Micheles ! :)

Friday, September 01, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here from Michelles.

I like candy apples. Does that count?

Friday, September 01, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

h&b: Can't go wrong with Grannies!


danielle: What can I say, I was weaned on candy apples!

Friday, September 01, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

I LOVE apples and I keep waiting to find good ones here. I think we have great apples in Canada. Especially out east in NB and NS.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bobelia: I love them too...such a great portable snack. We have great apples here, up near Collingwood, Ontario there are many orchards. Candy apples, I remember fondly!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 
Blogger purplefugue said...

Oh my...you lucky girl! Apple trees in every yard? They're my favourite fruit. Unfortunately, we don't have that many varieties here in Singapore. Golden Delicious, Granny Smiths and Fujis abound in supermarkets. I'd love the chance to one day pluck an apple off a tree and take a bite of it.

Thanks for dropping by. :-)

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Indigo: Then you must come to Canada to experience that!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

What wonderful, truly delicious memories this brings to life. I think I'm going to have to be making a trip to the orchard we visit every fall much sooner than later after reading this!

Fear And Loathing - The Gonzo Papers

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Kilroy: Some nice apple grower will thank you! Enjoy the juicy wonder!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home