Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

My Place In The Universe (Goes with Picture Post Below)

My love for the place I've been posting pictures of is so strong, it beckoned me to write a poem about it. I was further motivated by a picture on my wall of our canoe at sunset, beached on the shore with the paddle sitting in a position that was just begging me to grab hold and slip out in it! (More pictures can be seen in the post below this one.)
My Place in the Universe


It is here in this valley by the river that I feel most alive.
This place lives in my head and heart.
It has carved its own space there over time and transcended my soul.
Even my canoe, that has travelled widely,
is at home only here on the rocky shores of the Dumoine River.
At the last possible moment before sunset, it beckons me
and I must go quickly
for I can not deny its wish
to slip silently through the still evening waters.
Almost soundlessly, I climb into my canoe,
echoing briefly from the hills along the far shore.
With calm power I cut cleanly the mirrored glass
with the blade of my paddle.
A running line of droplets drips in succession
as I lift its tip between strokes.
An extension of my self,
my canoe and I are propelled as one,
the sun sinking swiftly below the horizon,
a lonely loon crying forlornly for its mate,
and we hear its call.
I do not own this place.
No mortgage, no deed, no legal transaction
binds me to this piece of property.
I have no hold on it - but it has a hold on me.
No surveyed boundaries could ever define my attachment yet,
it has shared its charm with many.
Several have visited this very same spot.
It has had numerous owners,
some who even profess to love it as I do.
They have fished, swam, and canoed its clear cool waters,
hiked the same steep winding trails,
eaten meals at the long cook camp table,
slept in the same cots of the sleep camp cabin,
But I, I sing here!
I gaze with wonder
at the flickering northern lights and shooting stars.
My whole being dances here!
I cry at the pure and simple beauty of it all.
It is only a tiny spot in the universe,
but its spirit is my spirit.
And so powerfully does it connect me to the Creator
and all of Creation,
that,
for the time I am here,
it is mine alone -
My place in the Universe.

Mother of Invention, looking forward to my annual trek, this Saturday!


9 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

I can almost hear the lap lap lap of the water jostling the canoe!

I wanted to tell you about a local blog roll. It was just started. If you click the Canadian Flag on my blog you can see what it is all about.

I thought you might like to give it a try. The gal from Tricia's Musings developed it.(in Toronto)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynn: Thanks! I'll check it out.
Can't wait to get out in the canoe!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

I'll be there on Friday!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Okay! BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag...sleeping that is!) Fishing rod, bug spray and book! Paddle is optional...we have more canoes too!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Can I come visit you? These pictures are magnigicent. You must feel humbled in the midst of such beauty.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Sigh. May your soul forever find the peace it needs when you are there.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Sure, come along with Old Lady! It is a rather special place for me...so unfettered with anything outside pure nature.

Diana: Thanks. It is rejuvenating and does indeed replenish my soul. Very connecting to the important, yet simple elements of life.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

I hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds just lovely and the pictures are nice.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Thanks, we will! Wish I had you coming along with your great camera and picture-taking ability!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home