Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Monday, July 31, 2006

I Could Handle Cottage Life!

I returned from my sister's cottage late Sunday night, rejuvenated but sad to leave the lake. We had our annual "Sister-Babefest", the three of us. This entails non-stop talking about everything under the sun, games, looking through magazines, doing and assessing each others' hair, libations of choice (mine are always just plain old diet pop!), plenty of snacking, and great meals!

We are fortunate to actually love each others' company and we truly cherish this time at the cottage. Of course, the one brother-in-law, the owner of said cottage, who has to endure all this, escapes on his bike, disappears into town for groceries and volunteers to take the garbage to the dump just to make space! The poor guy! He's a great gourmet cook and doesn't hesitate to use his fabulous culinary skills on special meals. All his endeavours in the kitchen are not lost on us and we look forward to every appetizer (brought down to the beach!) and scrumptious meal.

There was a wicked thunderstorm and we had a power outage for 5 hours one afternoon so we got playing the typical cottage games; Euchre, Cribbage, and an old 1969 version of Password. It was absolutely hilarious! As the martinis and coolers disappeared, the games got proportionately funnier.

The lake was beautiful and man, I'm missing it today...it was 36 degrees Celsius and will be again tomorrow! I seek respite from the steam bath of my house, here in my husband's office after hours.

Meanwhile, I'm still dining on the fresh memories of Sister-Babefest 2006.



Mother of Invention, dreaming of cool waters where the loon's call echoes forlornly across the lake.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Hello Mother,

I am glad you had a wonderful time!
I too would have wished to stay longer.
Oh Cottage life......
I dream to make that life a permanent one.
Would be wonderful if it is soon. Hubby gets retirement pkg in Sept. We will make a decision to stay here or move North sometime after that.
How about memories of the early morning when the mist is on the water and you just know there are creatures lurking in the shadows and crevaces having one last look around before they retreat to the forest for safety and slumber.

Monday, July 31, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Heavenly. Wish I had sisters like that.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Makes me wish I had siblings.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynn: My dream home is a small log cabin on a quiet lake with a lovely fireplace! I look at those lo cabin magazines wistfully! My husband won't retire for at least another 10 years.

Diana and Barbara: Yes, I am lucky to have such cool babes as sisters. I always wanted an older brother though to guide me through all that guy stuff!

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

It sounds like a wonderful time! I love playing games with family and having those relaxed times when you can just sit back and enjoy.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Yes, those are precious times..just hanging out, being yourselves. There are few people who know you so well. We used to play so much Monopoly and Crazy Eights!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home