Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Days of Roses Are Numbered!

Sad to say, my roses, of a few weeks ago, are slowly and gently meeting their annual demise! I love roses, although my favourite colour is yellow, as I had for my July wedding, and I don't have any of those.


Roses remind me of my Grandma's garden. She actually won prizes for them! There was every colour imaginable, and in those days, they all smelled so lovely! Mine don't have any fragrance at all. My sister and I would tour the garden several times a day, paying homage to each bloom, one at a time, as we bent or stood tall to deeply inhale the heavenly scent. The best time was in the morning, when the dew drops were still hanging onto the petals, glistening in the slanted rays of early sun.....what a sight to behold, even now, etched in my memory!

A Kodak moment imprinted in a little girl's mind!


Mother of Invention, thinking that next year, I'm going to get yellow roses that actually smell like Grandma's!

10 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

Some of the most vivid images are the ones we carry in our minds. Thank you so much for sharing this rich image from your childhood.

What I love about our roses is their brevity. They're around for such a short time that we're forced to appreciate their wondrous and perfect beauty. I doubt we'd perceive them the same way if they were around the whole year.

I think Michele would agree, which is why she sent me to you. She's so wise. As are you.

Friday, July 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks, Carmi! You are so right about appreciating them all the more because we don't have that long to enjoy them! All my childhood memories are still quite rich and vivid, and and luckily for me, they are all very happy!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Roses have a wonderfull fragrance, we have a rose bush in our backyard in Ottawa (sadly, none in Montreal).

I also had these beautiful purple flowers on a vine that I (regrettably) pulled out in a spate of aggressive weeding.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

I love growing roses too. Being a novice It took me a couple of years to get it right. I hate to cut them off the bush.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: The roses from florists never seem to be that fragrant..maybe because they mass produce and make them grow so fast so as to faclitate the the demand. I hope the purple flowers weren't morning g;ories! I love those!

Cancer Sucks: I was going to name this post just that...!... but with, "Minus The Wine!" (I'm not a wine drinker. Guess it'd have to be red wine to go with this and I definitely don't fancy that stuff! Closest I got was the Cold Duck, Baby Duck etc. we had in high school!)

Old Lady: I hear ya! We cut off too much one year and it never bloomed at all the next year! We had a bumper crop this yer, though!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: meant Morning GLORIES! And maybe they were clematis?

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

I wish I had a garden. Flowers are so beautiful. I hope you do get beautiful yellow roses for next year that do have that wonderful scent.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Thanks..I wish you had a garden too because you sure do justice to flowers with your many beautiful pictures! Keep on snappin'!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

They definitely were not morning glories. But looking up clematis ... yes! that looks very much like them.

Thanks! Now I know what to ask for.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Glad I could help! They grow up quite quickly if given a trellis or something to cling to! Perfect for arbours.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home