Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bonnie, You've Still Got It!

Last night's concert was absolutely fantastic!

Bonnie Raitt is an all-time favourite of mine and she lived up to my expectations as she rocked the whole Hummingbird centre with her blues, rock and gentle ballads. She is clearly the most eclectic musician there is, playing slide guitar (her claim to fame!), keyboard, and every other kind of guitar you can imagine.

It was a real surprise happening when Shirley Eckard, the Canadian who wrote, "Something to Talk About", got up from the audience to sing this with Bonnie. This is the song that really made Bonnie famous and apparently, it was rejected by everyone else.

The crowd responded loudly to all the rockin'' numbers, but you could have heard a pin drop while she sang her heartwrenching love ballads with minimal accompaniment; just her trademark raspy voice, sending us the raw pain to which we can all relate. Everyone was silently tearing up and I swear there was collective sniffling from the audience throughout these songs.

And..Bonnie looks great, over fifty, fit, fabulous and funky! She talks and sings with the same voice, oozing out pure cool in a southern drawl that flows like molasses! Her flaming red hair with its distinctive grey streak down the front suits her sassy personality!

Bonnie, baby, you're the best! Keep on singin', honey!

I'm "re-sharing" a song (minus the melody!) that I wrote after the last time I saw her...she was as inspirational then as she is now!


Okay, Bonnie, I need one of your funky tunes! (And you to sing it, of course!)
For all those people who are just not who they profess to be ... you are so transparent to me...and at the end of this road, you'll never fool the Big Guy!!

Facin' the Music
You might think I have no business telling you this
But Baby, you sure got a whole lot to hide
It might hurt that ole male pride
To reach down deep inside
Grab a little courage
Throw the pretense away
And show me who you really are
It's only fair to be on par
So, Honey, you can stop writin' it
And try facin' it
I'm talkin' about the music in your heart
You shoulda done it from the start
But you better keep time in mind
There may never be enough left for you to come clean
From the places you've been, Baby
You're only a fraction of who you profess to be
Don't you see?
I'm tryin' to do a save
But you're not bein' brave
You're not even listenin'
Walkin' off whistlin'
The same old tune
You're goin' down soon, my friend
We're all free to choose
There's nothin' to lose --
Try takin' a chance
Take a real hard glance
At the dance you've done, Darlin'
'Cause it's a restless place in Hell, Honey
So wrench yourself free of the lies
For when that Eagle flies
You all the way to the sun
Everything'll be done
And you'll be dyin'
With the lyin'

Mother of Invention, still rockin' on!

(any tunes out there?!)



7 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Sounds like an awesome show. I haven't had the fortune to see her live and know that I need to now. Glad you enjoyed the show!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Why don't you send your words to Bonnie and see what happens? You never know -- maybe you were a born lyricist! It's fun to leave a concert when the tunes are competing to be hummed or sung afterwards, isn't it?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Yes, you definitely have to catch her if she comes near you! Well worth the $$!!

Barbara: I was going to send them just to see what would happen but I'm not really sure how to do it or if they'd ever really get there and to her. I have my doubts!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

I agree with Barbara - there's no harm in trying. If nothing else, you might get a thank you card from her. My mom once sent a manuscript to a famous author and got a note back... a real one, discussing the book.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bobealia: That's encouraging! Thanks. Maybe I'll go on her site to see where I could send it. Has your mom since had her ms published?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

Rock on!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: I am! Can't get those songs outta my head!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home