Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Cottages Beckon!

This is the Canada Day long weekend here so Happy Birthday, Canada!

We live in a small town just south of cottage country and we have witnessed the mass exodus from the city to cottage country, a little wistfully I might add! Cottage-owners we are not.

The kids have finished school, people have been packing up for the holidays and a steady stream of traffic has been flooding through our town since yesterday. It is just easing off now but will start up again early tomorrow. The grocery stores will be busy if any are open. People will buy fireworks. And I am missing out on this tradition, as always!

Ah well, I am celebrating with close friends at a BBQ tomorrow night and visiting other friends on Sunday. I will not have to fight traffic! The mosquitoes will not be eating me alive! The water will not chill me! There will be no sunburn for me!

Sour grapes? No, not really......although, just looking at this campfire picture from last summer at my sister's cottage, I can hear the bonfire beckon, and I have a sudden yearning for roasted marshmallows on a stick!

Mother of Invention, singing, "Happy Birthday" to my country, and swatting only a few mosquitoes!

15 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

Sorry you won't be at the cottage this weekend. I hope you do get to celebrate some in the city (marshmellows in the microwave, chocolate, and some graham crackers are almost as good as real S'mores.

Happy Canada Day!

Friday, June 30, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Thanks! In my next life, I'm going to have that log cabin on a lake! (And all the bonfires I can light!) Yeah, I do like those S'mores! (Rats! I'm diabetic and shouldn't be goin' there!) You have a good July 4rth long weekend too.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

I hadn't thought about toasted marshmallows in a long time. I like them just a little burned! Happy Canada Day!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I loved getting them Tan brown, but sometimes they just "Flambayed" and you didn't have a choice! HA! Then, I'd just eat the outer layer, re-kindle and burn, blow out, eat and repeat until gone!!

Glad you're "unblogged" and could get on again! Wait, that sounded weird considering you just had a colonoscopy! HA! You won't be blogged up for a LONG while!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

The mosquitos aren't so bad, but the black flie in Spring are brutal.

I remember when I was in Peru, we went to Machu Picchu. We kept being warned about the mosquitos - which didn't bother me. Turned out that they were black flies (or something similar). My legs were horribly bitten up. The problem is that in Spanish, mosqua means fly and mosquito means means small fly.

Have a great Canada Day!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks, Richard! Wouldn't you know it? Those darn black flies following you all the way from here to Peru! Now, THAT'S being their truly annoying selves!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Robin said...

How funny that you ate marshmallows just like I used to....burn them,peel and eat,burn again,peel and eat...until there was nothing left. Mmmmmm charcoal!!
I miss those sugary things too. Can they make a sugar free marshmallow?.....lol. How do you make something sugar free when the whole thing is sugar????? Damn!!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Robin: Yeah, funnyeh? Two future diabetics burning sugar on purpose, only to be burned by it later! HA!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Happy Canada Day from one of your Yank friends!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks, Diana! You have a great holiday on the fourth too, my US blog friend. (Thanks for the link, you're on mine too.)

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Happy, happy, happy Canada Day (sory I'm one day behind!) I do hope you've had a great BBQ and a spelendid celebration with your family and friends!
Have a great summer season too - I'm Gone Golfing, you know! I had my first round today with my wife, and you know what: I improved my Handicap with one point - I great start:-)

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Renny: Thanks! We had a great BBQ with my Finnish friend, Outi! You'd like her! We were in her gazebo(tent) on her deck when the thunderstorms came! Then the sun came out!

Happy golfing! You'll be a pro by the end of the summer!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Happy Canada Day Weekend!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

Happy Canada Day Weekend! If it makes you feel any better, I have to work tomorrow.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Teri: Thanks! Always nice to have a long one! Have a great day on the fourth!

Bobealia: Yeah, it does! HA! Just closed one of those lovely log cabin magazines!!!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home