Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Sterling Day!


Escape From the Red Snake!

I’ve been going to my post box every day anxiously awaiting the delivery of one of those many items I order through the mail. But this is no ordinary parcel, at least, not to me. Major metaphors involved!


When I became diabetic at age 13, the whole big scary ordeal necessitated my wearing a medic alert bracelet to draw further attention to the fact. Now, to a teenager who had been forever fascinated with anything shiny that even resembled jewelry, (was I related to the crow family?!) this little "bangle" was a huge disappointment!


This newest addition to my "pearls of possession collection" wasn’t exactly a real gem. Well, the information engraved was unique and I’ve always loved being unique but it was made of stainless steel for goodness sake! Serviceable, durable and ugly in the extreme!


The first element anyone would notice was a gigantic, deep red snake wrapped around what looked like a sword to me. (Was this detail to cruelly remind us of the numerous injections we were to do over a lifetime?!) The comment I remember most was from a girl in my Gr. 9 class who yelled out in her loudest voice, "What a ZAP bracelet!" (Same girl that announced to the entire student population in her signature disgusted tone and human megaphone on my first day back to school in four months, "Ooh! Why are you SO SKINNY?!)



I was relieved to find that after a few months, wear and tear allowed the red snake to slowly flake off. Well, you can bet I hastened that process along with a sharp paring knife!


Did I say these babies were durable? Well, in actual fact I’ve had about 15 break, get fixed, break again and so on…. I found one buried in the snow, on the driveway after spring thaw, in my bed and in the bathtub. But the most ironic place of uncovering has to be at the summer camp for diabetic kids where I worked for 8 years.


The following summer after losing it, I found it during a game of "Capture the Flag" while I was hiding out at the incinerator!! I bet there were many snake zap bracelets lost on the campground – on the bottom of the lake, under the dock, in canoes, in the horse barn, at the archery field, the campfire ring, the Chapel site…just about everywhere.


I imagine a million years from now, that some archaeologists will be digging, wondering why the heck all these bracelets are buried there. Then they’ll piece it together once they find all the syringes in the dumpsite! (These camp days were way before environmentally friendly disposal!)


Which brings me to the Sterling part of my story…. I have always looked wistfully at the gold and silver versions of these bracelets on the re-order forms, thinking they were just too much of a luxury for me to spend more money on than was absolutely necessary.


Well, guess what? After 38 years with a red snake on my wrist, I decided that it was worth…..that I was worth it!


Today it arrived in a box you’d swear was from Birks! (Okay, maybe that was just my enthusiastic imagination and keen anticipation at work!) It is like a pretty piece of real jewelry, smaller and a great deal shinier than the standard stainless! (A crow would be proud to wear it!) Even the chain is fine and delicate……$85 of Snake Power Zap!



Worth every cent.



Mother of Invention, gazing at her new wristwear, gleaming in the sun.

16 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I'd love to see your new "charm". Can you post a pic? $85 is actually a small price to pay for the information that snake bracelet conveys to those who need to know. How exciting to get the upscale version!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Yes, I'm quite happy with it! I'll try to do a pic...need my husband to show me how to download from the camera what I have so far on the present memory. Somehow, I can't get out of the "old camera thinking" that you hav e to wait to use up the film!! HA! Gotta shine up the bracelet!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

You HAVE to post a pic of your new fancy dancy bracelet! What about posting the pic from the order website? My brother wears one that looks like a watch strap. My father was just diagnosed with diabetes, and it has been quite a life change. He has a new nifty needle and sugar level taker thingy that are quite simple to use. I don't know what his bracelet looks like.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bobealia: I did actually take the pics today but as I've said above, I have to get my husband to hook up the camera to his office computer and who knows when that might happen! I need to be shown!

The new pen needles are pretty discreet...they look like those old cartridge pens! Does he do needles at each meal? I do when I eat carb, and thenadain at night I do another type that lasts 24 hours but I have to do that one in a syringe from a vial. Can't wait until they get a pen for that kind!
The diet is the hardest thing.

All the best to him.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

How exciting and remember: In Norway it could have been gleaming in the sun almost 24/7 lol! I agree with Barbara: you just have to take a pic and show us:-)

Monday, June 26, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Renny: Yes, I'll try! And I'm jealous of your long sunny days! Does so much to lift the spirit!

Monday, June 26, 2006

 
Blogger Robin said...

I've seen the ad for these bracelets and I have hesitated to buy either kind.
I know it is stupid and probably dangerous,but I haven't ordered one yet. I don't feel comfortable with the whole world knowing my business.
I work in a medical office and I see a lot of patients for exams. I don't want them to know I have diabetes. Why do I have to share that??

I suppose I'll give in eventually......if no one nags me.

You are definitely worth a million times more than what you paid for your bracelet. Like everyone else,I am waiting for a pic!

Monday, June 26, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Robin: Yes, you should definitely wear one for your own safety and as I said, they're pretty nice looking now, especially when they lost the red snake on them! I'll do the pic soon!

And yes, we are all worth the price of the bracelet....thanks!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Oh very, very good for you! Everyone having to wear one should have a pretty, sparkly one. NOT those dingy gulag-wear ones.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: After all this time, I finally saw that!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Oh, hooray! I'm glad you've found one you like.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Teri: Yeah, could've sprung for the gold but that would have been too much! Silver is perfect!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

Yes, my Dad's is like the nifty pen thing... He takes it with every meal and just before bed he takes a different kind, but it's not a syringe... Yes, the diet is hard because his wife isn't used to it, and she forgets he has to eat at certain times. He ends up eating without her, and I think it's hard for him. My dad lost a lot of weight and has to make sure he eats enough.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bobealia: Imagine having to make sure you eat enough! Seems funny but I have to also to match the insulin I've taken. I eat many meals by myself too! It would be easier for two diabetics to live together!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What an awesome treat for yourself. Glad to hear you finally have a bracelet that you have to wear but also want to wear!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Yes, I do think it looks like an ordinary nice silver bracelet really. My pics don't do it justice! I need lessons from you on that!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home