Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Gr. 8 Grad!

I never had such a thing. We were just nudged over across the field to where the high school was and expected to move on to gr. 9. Well, okay, we did have a dance in the gym from 3:30 to 4:30.

Tonight, I went to my school's graduation because I taught these kids in gr. 3. Wow! What a big deal it was too! Is there something magical here that transforms them from kid to adult in just four hours?

I mean the dresses, shoes with 4" heels, glitzy up-do hairstyles, and make-up were a sight to behold. On a few, it looked comfortably them, but for most, they were indeed struggling to pull it off. The girls have been practising how to walk on and off the stage in their new shoes for four days. A few were close to falling, but no one actually did. They were yanking up strapless gowns with no finesse and there were several tags I was dying to tuck in dresses! Someone definitely needed to work more with these awkward kids!

Ah well, they thought they were great, their parents thought they were even greater, and they all had a wonderful night!

And tomorrow, on the last day of school, as usual, the gr. 8's won't actually attend classes but will breeze into the building just to show off their hair and to emphasize the fact that they have grown up and are now beyond elementary school! It's a sort of right of passage handed down to them from the preceding class!

Good luck to all of them!

Mother of Invention, their OLD Gr. 3 teacher!

14 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

It's interesting to see how much celebration is going on in the lives of kids these days. I think the positive reinforcement is good and hope that it makes adults that focus on the good, but understand the work that goes into it. What a fun experience!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Yes, it is good for the kids to celebrate Hallmarks and for parents to support these ocassions. There was so much food left over, the staff will be eating it all day and at their own party tonight!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Yes, us neither with the graduation. How delightfully fine. Still children, yet not.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: It was very neat to see this stage! The girls look 17 and the boys still look 12! if they go all out for this, I wonder what's left for high school proms?!!!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

I didn't have that grad either... but we did have a semi-formal that was pretty formal. My pics from that are cute. My date looks 12 and I look 20.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bobelia: That would be cute to scan and post!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

Sorry, no can do. I'm playing this anonymously this time....

Friday, June 30, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Maybe it's those 4" heels that mark the rite of passage from childhood to adulthood. There's no more innocence for children after grade 8 any longer unfortunately.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

I was educated in Quebec, there is no middle school here. High school is from grade 7-11. When I moved to Ontario, I found the whole concept of middle school very odd.

I don't think mixing 13 year olds qith 17 year olds is necessary a good idea, but on the other hand, I think it is much more liberating to finish at 17 and head off to college where you get a much broader and enriching experience.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: The middle school must have been a horrible place to teach! 10 classes each of gr. 7 and 8 in mine! We had to slog our way to and through gr. 13, one of the only provinces to have it..but they finally got rid of it 3 years ago. I took gr. 13 French and liked it...do you speak French?

Saturday, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

My high school diploma attests that I am fully bilingual. Of course, rarely using it, I am not so functionally bilingual.

My daughter is fluently trilingual in English, French and Spanish.

It is neat to watch her switch languages without effort.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Your daughter is going to have so many more opportunities than we did, especially living here in Ontario. I took French until the end of Gr. 13 and loved it, but was a little hesitant to take it in university. I should have!

Do you not get much chance to use French even though you are in Quebec? As your daughter learns, she can give you an ongoing refresher course!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Actually, I work in Ottawa, Ontario. My wife and kids have been in Montreal for the past 2 years.

I was out of Quebec in 1986 and am only partly here since 2004 - even then, it is in the West Island of Montreal, which is predominantly English speaking anyway.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: So you don't get any chance really to brush up and use French...do you lament this, I wonder? It is such a beautiful- sounding language to hear, I wish I could speak it. Is your wife speak French well?
Still great that your kids will learn it..and Spanish too!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home