Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Marriage: Is It Just A Piece of Paper?

It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day twenty-six years ago that my husband and I got married. We were truly blessed and have been ever since. Even though I could not have children because of diabetic complications, our lives have filled up with the joy of many friends and different activities that we might not have been able to experience otherwise.

I have heard it said that a marriage certificate is not worth the paper it's printed on, or maybe it's only worth the cost of that paper. Of course, this is highly individual, depending upon the success or failure of the relationship, but today, I thought about that piece of paper as I walked into our guest bedroom.

On the wall of this "B&B room" as I've named it, hangs my grandmother's marriage certificate. It is a beautiful piece of art with its pink apple blossoms swirling around the pictures of some biblical people. On the top, are silver bells on which is written, "For better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part".
At the bottom, a bearded man in shepherd's clothing, is welcoming several people on camels. Below is written, "And Isaac lifted up his eyes and saw, and behold, the camels were coming. And Isaac took Rebecca, and she became his wife, and he loved her." Gen.
It is dated, "On the ninth day of October, 1912".

With our two biblical names, Ruth and David, I like to think we identify somewhat with this revered certificate and are connected somehow to the sancity of marriage through my grandparents.

I came upon this certificate while searching in my attic for a "Writer's Suitcase" for school. No one knew it was in the suitcase my parents gave me when my grandma died. The paper was actually ripped in places and my good friend, who is a framer, restored it and framed it in gold, matting it to match the wallpaper. It is an outstanding piece of art to which you are immediately drawn as you enter the room.

I have placed an exquisite, antique, porcelain wedding doll on the chair directly beneath it. And behind her gorgeous, ivory satin dress, I have slipped a faded, white photocopy of our plain, businesslike marriage license. The irony is not lost on anyone!

Luckily, for us, the "piece of paper" we got on July 12, 1980, means nothing - compared to the 26 years we have loved and been faithful to each other.



Mother of Invention, gazing thoughtfully at Isaac, Rebecca, and the apple blossoms, thanking my lucky stars.

17 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Well, let me be the first to congratulate you! It nice to have good memories to reflect upon. Have a great day.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Thanks! They are wonderful memories indeed. If I were better at techy stuff, I would have included a picture of this piece, but it's under glass and I just don't know if I could ever do it justice.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

How very lovely and how very fortunate you (and I) are to be in the minority: The happily married for many years. I hope your grandparents were as happy as you and David are.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Almost missed it, you slipped in your marriage date much the same way I slip in pieces of information.

Congratulations on 26 years. Wow! I will be celebrating 10 years this September.

Hope you guys have a great and memorable day!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: Thanks! We are both very blessed to have met the right guys the first and only time! I think my grandparents lived happy lives, although my grandpa died at age 62, (I never met him) and my grandma lived alone after that to the ripe old age of 92.

Richard: Funny how I slipped that one in there! Well, 10 years is somewhat of a Hallmark too! Time goes by quickly and that seems like yesterday for me in many ways.
We had a wonderful day.

You may be too young to remember the singer, Valdy, ("Play Me a Rock and Roll Song") but he sang to us in a restaurant out in BC last year on our 25th!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

The paper is just there as a visible reminder of the relationship you live day in and day out. Your posts convey the tremendous love and trust that exist between you and your David. Go for another 26 I say!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Thanks for this lovely post as I do agree and loved to read it. I can tell you are able to count your blessings and that is a gift in life!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Robin said...

Rich and I always joke that Lillianna will be in therapy because her parents are married.....to each other.

I'm not sure why people don't believe in marriage that much anymore. I think "the piece of paper" is important. It is to us,anyway.

Congratulations on your anniversary again. I think it's wonderful.

Your grandmother's marriage certificate is a great memory to hold on to. It's a piece of history that most people don't have.I'm sure you will treasure it always.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

That was a beautiful piece.
I can imagine the room with the doll sitting there.

Lovely,

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What a wonderful sight to have in your home.

I hope that you have many more years of happiness and wedded bliss.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What a wonderful sight to have in your home.

I hope that you have many more years of happiness and wedded bliss.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What a wonderful sight to have in your home.

I hope that you have many more years of happiness and wedded bliss.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: I guess the piece of paper does stand for a lot more actually than what it is. I think they should give the beautiful certificates they did in my grandmother's time to do it justice. Another 26 would be grand! Thanks!!

Renny: Thanks. I have had a few good reasons to count my blessings and yes, I usually can do this to give me the proper perspective on life.

Robin: HA! Sounds like Lillianna is very lucky to have such good loving parents! Most people did value marriage a lot more in the old days....maybe it was that beautiful piece of art they gave them!!! I can't believe no one framed it! It is very special to me..I like to think that just maybe, both of my grandparents can "see" this on my wall now!!

Thanks!

Lynn: Thank you. I've been meaning to write about it for such a long time and our 26th just seemed to be right! I tried hard to do it justice in my description and I'll post some pics soon! Sad to say, I need help loading them from my camera onto my husband's office computer!!

Brooksba: Thanks very much! I hope so too. It is a very neat thing to have in our B&B Red Roses Room! One of my favourite rooms in our house. Above the bed is an engagement present for my great-grandmother, a picture called, "Little Sweethearts". (She was the mother of the grandma in this post)

Thursday, July 13, 2006

 
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love seeing such happiness, and such appreciation for a marriage and life well lived. This is inspirational.

Your perspective on your marriage reminds me of mine....it was our anniversary just last week, and I remember feeling something similar when I posted about it:

http://writteninc.blogspot.com/2006/07/save-last-dance.html

It's so lovely to read the words of a sensitive Ontarian (howdy, neighbor). I'm glad Michele sent me, and I look forward to reading more.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Carmi: Thanks so much! Glad you found it inspirational.not much of that sometimes! Don't see many bloggers from Ontario! Congrats on media coverage!

Friday, July 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

May this be nothing more than a short bit of the long, happy path you shall travel together.

Fear And Loathing - The Gonzo Papers

Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home