Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Poem For Roses (created from the post below)

Many people ask me about how I create my poetry. I maintain that you can write a poem about anything. One easy way is to express your ideas about something, as I did on the post below, and then, condense those ideas into concise descriptive words, arranging them in a format you like. I often don't use any punctuation but I sure use that centre button!
The use of some stylistic devices, such as the alliteration I love so much, (repetition of initial or internal letter sounds) allows for a more interesting and appealing sound when it is read. Here it goes!
Grandma's Roses
early morning
at Grandma's house
two young girls -
my sister and I
greeting her garden
bending, stretching
deep inhaling
smelling roses
dew drops dripping
from perfect prize-winning petals
coral
yellow
white
ivory
each different hue
a variation on a theme
a scent to be savoured
and fast frozen -
encapsulated
in
the kodak moment
of our minds


Mother of Invention, zooming in on that picture!

8 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Still, it takes a creative person to come up with this stuff! I like your thoughts and arrangements. They leave, what I think is, an impression of your thoughts

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

Your style, to me, is reminiscent of Rod McKuen and e.e. cummings

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Thanks. I guess you're right. I don't think of them as terribly creative because the thoughts come so quickly and naturally. It is neat when a reader can get inside your mind and "see" your thoughts and images you have. Then, you've accomplished one of the many purposes for writing.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Forgot! Yes, some of my poetry does remind me of e.e. cummings...the use of small letters and the breaks in lines, trailing down the page. A little bit like Rod M's...I'll have to read more of his to compare!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

This really does capture the mood of the memory. Wonderful poem!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks, Brooksba! Grandma's place was always special to us, as was her garden. My sister and I have wonderful childhood memories of her!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger amanda said...

Hello there! Michele sent me...

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 
Blogger Joe said...

Very nice poem. Thanks for sharing.

Here via Michele.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home