Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Friday, July 21, 2006

Poetry Friday Challenge


I was asked to post this again to serve as the Friday Poetry meme from over at Mona's blog, Mona's Barbaric Yawp ... http://yawpmona.blogspot.com/
A favourite university professor of mine, Homer Hogan, who wrote two of my Grade 13 textbooks, "Poetry of Relevance", proclaimed that anybody could write a poem about anything. On the first day of his class, he showed us how it was done. He simply had us look at our left hand and gave us three minutes to write 4 short lines that described what we saw there. Mine was:


cut finger
chipped polish
chocolate mole
cherished lifeline


He had piqued my interest and somehow my hand shot up to share mine. Homer loved it and wrote it on the board to discuss its merits. I was elated and I can tell you that I NEVER missed any of his classes!!
Years later, who would have thought that I’d be doing the same exercise with my Grade 7 class?! Of course, I had them trace their left hands and print the poems inside the shape, cutting it out to display on a bulletin board.
I continued to encourage these kids saying, "You could write a poem about doorknobs in 3 minutes if you had to"! Well, it just struck me that I have never, in fact done it! So here comes the challenge….if you dare…send one to me!
Here’s my 3-minute doorknob poetry!


clear crystal
wooden door
fancy old house
silver steel
garage? laundry room?
modern and practical
shiny copper
gleaming brass
find the polish
newly built
darkened copper
skeleton key
copper smell on your hands
after using
house aged well
a million hands
a cogillion germs
"Dr. Hygiene, Could I have picked this up
from a doorknob?"
(certainly hope so
always did wonder about that one)
friendly doors open
private doors closed
depends on your policy
door # 1
will always be my choice


Mother of Invention, keeping all doors open to you!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this - what a great idea :)

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks so much, Iliana! I'm a poetry junkie indeed! Now let's see what people can do with this!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

Bettas

One boy, one girl
One red, one white
Both apart, but together
Languishing with fins trailing
Gliding, glistening, stopping
Resting on twining roots
Flaring, puffing, see how handsome I am, yes but I'm pretty
Sink to the bottm
Rest on my glass jewels

Friday, July 21, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Beauty! I can see them flowing through the aquarium! I especially love the last line, "Rest on my glass jewels"!

Friday, July 21, 2006

 
Blogger Lynnea said...

Loved your poem! Inspired me to create a Poetry Friday post. Thanks so much.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Maggie: Thanks for your visit and comment! I'm glad you'll pass this idea on. It would be a neat thing to do in a school too.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

You should make this a weekly challenge.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

brass doorknobs
make me cringe
ugly, shiny, brass
no personality
no sparkle bling bling
no painted swirls or crystal balls
brass doorknobs
make me balk
they are made to be ignored
they scream, "Don't look at me!"
but I can't help it
brass doorknobs
are my nemesis
the first thing I would change
if I owned this place
brass doorknobs
be gone!

LOL!!!

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Boblealia: Hey! Glad you liked it and did it too! Brass is pretty non-descript. I hate old copper doorknobs! We have one and each time you touch it your hand smells awful! The girl in the post (Mona) does it every Fri. I don't know how to put those links IN the post!

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Boblealia: Hey! Glad you liked it and did it too! Brass is pretty non-descript. I hate old copper doorknobs! We have one and each time you touch it your hand smells awful! The girl in the post (Mona) does it every Fri. I don't know how to put those links IN the post!

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Your getting better and better. I really like the consept and the style and are glad you took the Challenge!
I wish you and your family a wonderful Sunday:-)

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Renny: Thanks! I love playing around with words!

Saturday, July 22, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

In, out,
Open, shut,
If I remove it, you can't lock me out,
but instead there will be just a hole separating us on opposite sides of the door.

Not nearly as clever as yours, but I have never given much thought to a doorknob before...

Sunday, July 23, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

Great poem and wonderful technique. I love that you still use this exercise. You took sometime from a favorite teacher and are passing it on. Just think, your students could do the same!

Sunday, July 30, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: It's a good exercise to do then. It makes you think about something ordinary and put down any old thoughts. It helped the kids become more fluent writers.

Brooksba: Thanks. Yes, that is the neat thing about teaching, you get to establish traditions and then pass the torch!

Monday, July 31, 2006

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

Was just going to bed when my oldest son got off the main pc, and I had a quick check of my mail... and ended up here!

What a brilliant idea (and I love your poem - so simple, but so much said!)

I was going to do a quick one, but my eyes are being held open by duck tape!

Oh what the heck...

Moulding to my touch
they turn, they move
they can be pulled
or pushed... down
to open the door
to other rooms
to outside
to inside
to other worlds
Who knows where the turning
might lead
Perhaps
turning this knob
Will be the one
to lead me
to eternity
the last door


:-D Yep, it's officially fun! I'll try that again sometimes. Thanks MOI - always good to get new perspectives. It's like that film, where the good turn is passed on (I think it's actually called something like 'passing it on' or similar...) :-)

C U soon

Thursday, November 23, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home