Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

We're Cookin'!

We're right in the throes of another record heat wave and I'm not likin' it one bit! This is the third one this summer which all adds up to some very weird and spooky weather patterns.


Last night was so hot that we couldn't even stand to be in the summer bedroom with two fans! My husband's Chiropractic office is in the front of our house and luckily, it does have air conditioning. So there we were, dragging a foam mattress from the garage to the front treatment room, hoping no one would know we were in there.


As anyone with cats will know, they can't stand it when the least little thing in their environment changes, even if it's a small rearrangement of furniture. Well, they came in and immediately knew something was up. I could read in their faces words like, "What the heck are you guys doing in this part of the house at night?!" Socks gingerly placed one foot on the foam and quickly retracted it, too afraid to venture onto the unfamiliar spongy carpet! Mooky recognized its smell from the garage and she unhesitatingly commenced to prance all around on it. She probably has napped on it several times and we are lucky she did not decide to mark her territory in the ususal feline fashion!

After their investigation was complete, kitties finally both settled down, one on a table and the other in a chair in our new room. Was a cosy scene. Well guess what girls? We're doin' it again tonight as we have seen the temperature soar to ridiculous readings comparable to 45 degrees Celsius!

We haven't resorted to these sleeping quarters for many years and I don't seem to recall it contributing to such sore back muscles upon awakening back then for some odd reason!!



Mother of Invention, making a mental note to call my Chiropractor FIRST thing in the morning!!

17 Comments:

Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

We've got miserable heatm too. (thank you very much, global warming.)

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Hang on -- it could be a long hot summer. I find myself sleeping with very little on these days. Try to stay cool!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

I am afraid that this will mean we will have an exceptionally cold winter. Down here we shut down in 2 inches of snow. Cats don't like it very much either! Air conditioning is SOP down here these days. Particularly since they stopped building the high ceiling double window houses. I am sorry that y'all are having to deal with this heat. I generally gets this hot down here this time of year, so we are enured to it. Just don't move unless you have to, don't use your stove or lights, keep the AC on, don't turn it off/on all the time, that actually uses more energy.

Take care!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Teri: Oh yeah, THAT Global warming David Suzuki has been warning us about for years!! Okay, we're listening NOW!

Barbara: By next summer we hope to have a new furnace with air con on it!! I look at my cats' thick coats and consider myself lucky!!

Old Lady: Cold winter? UGH! We can get a lot of snow up here!
This heat and the warnings to conserve energy has given me an easy excuse not to cook! I even went to a mall yesterday and today...to look for bathingsuits! UGH! Now you know how desperate I am! (Quite the humbling experience doing the bathingsuit hunt!)

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

Also, my cats get longer than spagetti noodles in this heat.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Hope your cats aren't black! Nuthin' hotter!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Maybe a 'hot' summer in Norway and the Nordic countries isn't that bad after all:-)

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

ho ho ho Mother!

Awesome!

I will give you a little aid here. Canadian tire, queen size bed in a bag.
A electrically blow up mattress on a zigzag frame with a comfort foam top and its own sheets. Goes up and comes down in a minute! Folds into a case with wheels on it! Super comfy and a great spare bed! We got it for camping. Cuz I have arthritis in my knees and I find it hard to get out of bed on the ground these days.
Enjoy your cool comfort!

I am bad. We have air conditioning, and I couldnt stand my hot flashes at night, so we now have our room in one of the basements. I am soo spoiled.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

Welcome home!
We finally turned the air con on too, and closed the windows and we are currently trying to get the air to move through the house... it's cooler than outside, but eh, well, it's ok.
It's bloody hot.
Ice cream doesn't count when it's about 40.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Renny: Summer in Norway's lookin' pretty good! And your nice long days ain't bad either!

Lynn: Great tip! I'll look for my Cdn Tire money collected and head over there! It was nearly impossible, not to mention painful for me to get up. Here I am in a chiropractor's office treatment room trying to pull myself up by hanging onto the table all bent over! And the chiropractor was comfortably asleep! HA!
Of course, on a night like last night with that wicked storm and the power out, I couldn't have blown that mattress up!

Bobealia: Thanks! We have an old house with thick walls but it didn't even matter whether we shut everything up, or so it seemed. Hot as Hades!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

The heatwave was horribe and I heard a lot of people resorting to sleeping in rooms they usually didn't get the zzzz's in.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Down here in Georgia, the heat index - whatever that is, but it sounds dramatic - hit 130 degrees Fahrenheit. I am staying in the cave with the A/C.
I'm enjoying catching up with your posts!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: I think the same heat wave is all across N. America. It's much better today!

Debra: Thanks! That does sound more dramatic in Fahrenheit! Take lots of food, snacks and libations into the cave!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

When I came back and heard about the heat wave for the past two weeks or so, I was glad to be in Lima (even if it was grey and between 16C and 20C, or so, most times).

My mom told me it got upto 38C out in the Cornwall area and my neighbour told me it got upto 40C in Montreal (although, I figure they are relaying the humidex reading).

Monday, August 07, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: I don't doubt it was 40 in Montreal! TO was pretty near that and it's right by Lake Ontario. You are lucky to have missed that! I'm glad it's going to a cooler 10 tonight.

Monday, August 07, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

I remember some brutal days in TO (when I lived there from '86-'88).

There were a few days one July / August where it was extremely surreal to be standing at the edge of the lake, feeling the wind blowing off the lake as hot as the air around you - it did nothing to refresh.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Yes, that is a bit surprising, although because it is humid breeze, it make actually make it worse. My sister has a cottage on Haliburton Lake and she says it dies nothing as it is just as hot. But at least she can go swimming in the soupy water!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home