Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Gone Electric!

Weird, completely weird weather systems continue to plague us and last night it peaked. It was one of the worst electric and high-powered wind storms I've ever seen. I was actually frightened and ready to call, "Aunty Em!" before I hightailed it down to the basement washroom, the place I deemed the safest in our house.

I was on the computers, (yes, two at once!) and got off the upstairs machine just in time before it was "lights out" as it were! Then we raced around the house, closing some windows as the rain blew in to soak everything in its path, doing attendance and roll call for our cats, Socks and Mookie.

In our summer bedroom,which is totally open windows, we looked out fearfully towards the river in our backyard, when we heard a huge crack followed by the definite sound of a tree slowly falling. Thankfully, it wasn't one of ours but it sure propelled me from our "indoor-outdoor treehouse" to the main part of the house in a fast hurry!

Of course, we were then scrambling to find flashlights that worked once the evening progressed. Why is this always so hard?!! My husband had on his headlamp that he uses for night skiing and when he's putting up Christmas lights in the dark. It's great for the person wearing it, but whenever he looked at me, I got blinded! (Curses here!) I was madly trying to shake the cheapo new LED light that shines in an annoying blue.

Mr. Calm then went out to watch the storm, while holding a metal beer can up to toast Thor and tempt fate at the hands of the God (or Goddess?) of the Light Show! Mookie appeared at the door of the garage, pacing, crying and trying to gather courage to dart out and into the house. She hates getting wet so I had to do a rescue. As you'd expect, just as I ventured out, holding her, the loudest crack of thunder clapped and Mookie's claws responded in kind. She clutched and then scrambled out of my arms, leaving me to bleed for the next half hour! (Darn that Plavix and ASA!)

By this time, people were getting curious and were now venturing out in cars and on foot with umbrellas to survey the situation and compare notes. Some were out trying to buy flashlights (including us!) but of course, all the stores were closed. The power outage was widespread but we noticed there was some action at the local cafe, a "Cheers-like" place three doors down from us. In fact, there was a throng of locals who had been attending the Wednesday night Drum Circle. How cool! Candles, drums, guitars, and coffee! We enjoyed the impromptu happening and joined the group who had gathered outside to watch the fabulous light show.

The power came on sometime during the night and all seems back to business as usual, but it sure was an interesting deviation from the usual "nightbeat" in our small town.


And, best of all, it has chased away the heat!

Mother of Invention, thinking I'll go out to check on that tree by the river! Maybe I'll even join the Drum Circle next Wednesday!


8 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Funny, in retrospect. I love a good thunderstorm! Your husband's headlight...funny.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I love thunderstorms!
We had a short, but powerful, one here yesterday evening. I think it was moving pretty fast.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with! Huge trees become matchsticks. Streams become rivers. Best to stay safe at times like this.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

I adore a good storm! I'd have gotten the kids and pets in the basement and then toasted the heavens as well!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

Storms can be cool to watch as long as you stay fairly safe. I have no clue where my flashlights are, but I always know where my iPod and cell phone are so I can use their displays to light the way to candles!

Glad the heat finally broke. We had the heatwave and I was thrilled when it finally started raining.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: He's a fanatic with that headlamp! He was outside our massage room putting up the lights at 8:30 p.m. and the lady having the massage saw it, and although it's heavily frosted glass, she was convinced it was a Peeping Tom! The therapist told her it was just the chiropractor and she got all freaked out and never came back!!!


Teri: Ilove them too, but from a really safe distance! Maybe we got that storm from you!?

Barbara: Yes, it certainly can be friend or foe. Personally, I'd rather stay on the friendly side of things!

Diana: Well, maybe ju-jubes for kids and pounce treats for pets!

Brooksba: That's funny! I'm glad someone else can't find their flashlights! It was on my list to get a few more today...and have I done it? No, and watch it happen again tonight!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

For some reason I missed this post.

I read it out loud for my husband who was laughing hysterically.

Not as much at the content, but at what memory it sparked after the read.

Aparently I fell asleep last night with my headlamp on and my book in my hand.

I can imagine what I looked like. Dead body in middle of book with a nice shiney light to the ceiling. Mouth open and noises coming from me.

I agree this storm was wild.
I kept looking north towards your area and I could not keep track of how many times the storm spun around.

I have video of the storm on my blog. Alex is re-editing the video now and has got it down to 5 min something.
He is also trying to take a screen-shot of the big lightning.

In a couple of hours he should be done transposing the video from AVI format.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynn: That is rather funny! He should have taken a picture or a video clip!
You are so lucky to have kids who are tech inclined!

Oh yeah, we did get an air bed at Crappy Tire today!! Thanks!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home