Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Entertaining Stories of Dad's!























We hadn't seen them since Father's Day and my parents never mind us inviting ourselves down for a visit. They had the most delicious tender roast beef, whipped potatoes, and carrots. I thought it must be Sunday as that's what they always have....gosh, what will they have today?! (Sunday)


My parents had just had my sister and her family for a big meal the two nights previous. Both of them sure love to cook for people and even with us, family, they are always such gracious, classy hosts. (Somehow, I didn't get that gene!)

The visit was fun and interesting, and my mom didn't show any memory lapses at all. (She's had a few in the past year which makes us wonder if Alzheimer's is developing.) My dad got into stories of his grandfather and he really got going! Wish I'd had a tape recorder. I've never heard any of these before which is always neat.

His grandfather apparently went fishing and hunting with his best friend, Zane Grey, the famous writer of many westerns. Even I had heard of him and some of the movies too! I think that was a pseudonym and many people thought he was an American, living in the west. My dad doesn't remember his grandfather being terribly fond of him and it's no wonder when my dad revealed some more stories.

Dad's memory is so sharply focused as he was describing antics of his being a young rowdy kid at the General Store up at his cottage. They owned 3 cottages on different lakes, a few being in Quebec, and all were fairly remote! I think they got rid of them and he laments this a great deal.
He spent every summer up at these. No wonder he always wanted to have a cottage and loves the fishing cabins we still have.


He was telling us how people used to buy their meat, bread, milk/cream, from different farmers and trucks. His dad would bring up all the unsold vegetables from the Sat. market after he had counted up the money and put it in the safe, and then drove up in one of the few vehicles people had. Most took the train.
His dad and Uncle owned a huge market garden farm in Ottawa, called, Rideau Gardens, all along that river. (Such prime land which is now a whole subdivision..one street was named after my sister!) They owned 5 teams of work horses (Clydesdale) to haul ice from the river and work the fields. Their vegetable cool storage was a fan blowing over the block of ice! They had 3 different kinds of veggies with each meal, not counting potatoes. My dad's an original Cabbage Patch Kid!

One of his stories about his shenanigans was just a hoot. I can so picture him doing this as a rambunctious 10 year-old! With a friend, he was regularly sneaking out at night from sleeping on the porch, going to the general store where this old shopkeeper who lived there used to sleep under the counter. They'd pussyfoot into the store, take the end of the huge ball of twine they used to use to wrap all packages with, hanging high above the counter, and run down the street with it. The guy would wake up, go after them with a big axe and cut the string since he could never catch them. The poor man could be seen waving this axe at them long after they had disappeared!


I love this story! Isn't it a scene right out of Little House On The Prairie?!


I should really bring a tape recorder next time.






Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't have a tape recorder but at least you have it documented here. I think older folks remember the past better than they remember what happened yesterday. It's starting with me and I didn't get the hostess gene either!

Can you come look at my new photo and caption shoot? My sister Sherry didn't get one of them. You're good at naming them and maybe something better will come to you.

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger Diana said...

That scene with your dad and the shopkeeper sounds straight out of a cartoon!

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger goatman said...

Neat story about the kids and the string. There're perks to sleeping outside! We used to camp out in the back yard and walk to a public pool a few blocks away for a midnight swim. Cops would come by on a schedule and we simply jumped the fence when they left and could swim for two hours max till the next cop-drive thru. A few stolen pushups in the middle of a major street (not busy in early morning) and home we'd go for a few hours sleep until the sun burned us out.

Thanks for the memories moi.

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger gary rith said...

He knew Zane Grey?
Funny how different the world is for our parents, and will be for us too.

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. It took me down the memory lane when my grandfather (born 1902) took me on his lap and told me about his good old days. These are tressurable and please bring the recorder next time!

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger Pauline said...

Isn''t it fun to learn of our parents' antics when they were young? Write it all down, MOI. Future generations will love to read about them.

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi moi! From your words, who says you don't have your parents genes...warm, kind and hospitable!

Video might be good recording but photos and words are just if not more powerful and accessible! Thanks for sharing.

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Colleen: Yes, they seem to be telling us a lot of stories of their past and then of course, start telling them every time we're there! So maybe I'll remember them afterall!

Diana: Yes, I can see that too. My dad was (and is!) a real character!

Goatman: Your story is a riot! What daring fun kids you were and your parents didn't find out?!

Gr: Yes, his grandfather did...you know him or read his books?

Renny: We need to listen to these people tell their stories. It's their legacy passed down to us and we need to honour the stories.

Pauline: Yes, I should do that more and should have with my grandparents too. The kids even in this generation have no idea how they lived then.

Twilite:
Oh, thank you for your kind words. I'd like to think I inherited all that!

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You really should take a tape recorder with you..The stories he has from suvh anothder time....It is a legacy that should be written down and passedc on, too!
LOVE all those pictures, too!

Monday, September 10, 2007

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

Wow! Sounds like Paul Bunyan meets Michael Myers on Halloween!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Oh I loved reading this! I just love it when my Dad talks about his childhood, I keep meaning to write it all down like he did about his mother.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger Stephen Newton said...

Great story, Mother. It sounds like you need to video the next session.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old, Old Lady of the Hills: You are right. So much they tell us incidentally in passing though so we never think of it, we are too busy with just visiting. The picture of the string took me a long time to find!

Steve: HA! You nutbar! My dad was a little force to be wreckoned with for sure. he has 9 lives.

akelamalu: Thanks! Sounds we come from the same era!

Stephen: That's the thing, though, I probably won't think of doing it or will forget the recorder! WE'RE CAUGHT UP IN THE MOMENT.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger meno said...

Oh, that is wonderful. You really really need to get him to record this, and other, stories. It will be a real treasure.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger Lynette said...

What a wonderful story, I was smiling the whole time! It's a great idea to keep a record of your Dad's tales in here so you can always have them to reread someday! Your parents sound so wonderful and fun to be around M.O.I. and I really love the pictures of the old stores. Sadly, they are disappearing way too fast today!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger Barbara said...

You're so lucky to still have your Dad around to tell his stories. Enjoy every minute of him!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't until both my dad and I were older that I remember him telling us stories of his youth. Perhaps it was more that I never really paid much attention when I was younger. Now I wish I had listened better and more. For now all I have is my recollection of his words. I would love to have known him better, especially the boy he was before he was may dad.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Meno:He has great stories and was quite the character all his life!

Lynette: I'm glad his antics made you smile. He's told us many stories about other times of his life, like the war. He's had an amazing life.
They are both a lot of fun, especially while we were growing up! The string picture was amazing to find!

Barbara: I realise I am and I do enjoy them both, even when they start repeating the stories 5 minutes later!

Coll: You are so right on! I wished I'd listened more carefully. I wish I'd asked more questions and of my grandmother too.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 
Blogger mystic rose said...

Oh wow! this is awesome! and there is material in here for several books over, ala little house on the prairie!! and as I remember your dad is a good writer too, isnt he? You posted a pome by him that I liked very much.

Its wonderful reading all this.

(we eat a lot of veggies with every meal in India too.. we have so many varieties. veggies and pulses(like lentils, beans)

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Mystic: I'm so glad you think so!
I've posted a few poems of his (3) so I'm not sure which one you liked. I have one more I'll do soon.

I love vegetables. I'd think Indian people are very healthy then and not many would have weight problems. WE should all eat like that.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 
Blogger GrizzBabe said...

Your dad sure was the mischeivous sort! And three veggies with each meal? How healthy!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Grizz: He was indeed an Imp!
Growing up, we had lots of different vegetables to eat at an early age...weird stuff like rutabaga, brussel sprouts etc.!

Thursday, September 13, 2007

 
Blogger the naked tapdancer said...

Great remembrances! I was out with my dad today and we talked about all the little country stores that belonged to my family - Aunt Northabelle, Aunt Ruth, and the motel that my grandfather owned, and the furniture store of my uncle's. I try to pick his brain for every story, and I hang on every word.
Thanks, Mother-
Debra

Friday, September 14, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

NT: Thanks! Then, owning stores is in your blood! No wonder you love it.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home