Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bush Lady Has Returned To Civilization!

















We got back late last night. It was pouring all day and the last two days were quite unsettled but at least it wasn't cool, just a bit buggy. (Those "no seeums" are the worst! I've been scratching ALL day!)

Generally, we had a terrific week.
My sisters had a great time and are talking of booking even another day next year! (Yikes! My poor husband,Dave! He actually thinks we are a riot.) We took them to see the canoe our friends lodged on a rock as they tried to come down some rapids and they were quite amazed. (see picture) They were really lucky to escape with mere bruises.

We spent a lot of time canoeing and fishing and brought lots of bass home. Dave caught a 4lb and we each got a 3 1/2 lb by the rock face. (see picture)
This was the year for wildlife for sure!

Dave rode his bike up a mountain road and just as he came to the turn-off into a lake, he saw a big lynx and one cub..(kitten?). This is a rare sighting. The kitten had gone off one way and the mother kept looking back to see if the kitten was okay and eyeing Dave but he rode past okay. Yikes!

Then, he saw a big black bear on the way back down by a huge beaver pond. Further down he saw a fox. Only saw the resident hare once. While canoeing, we sighted turtles on logs everywhere and some with babies too.

There were numerous mice! We caught about 15 in traps. My sister had one run across right through her hair and when she got up to look, it was sitting on her sheets just below her pillow! She immediately switched to a non-bunk and pulled it far out from the log wall!

We witnessed a weird dragonfly ritual a few times .... many were flying and zooming up and down and then swarming way up high at dinner time. Might they be eating? Mating? Does anyone know why this is?

Several military aircraft from Base Pettawawa were on training missions, flying very low over our lake. One in particular scared the bejeepers out of us when we were out just off the camp. It came over the sand beach, just clearing the trees! It was only about 30-35 ft directly over our canoe! The loud noise was quite frightening and I felt like I was in a scene from a war movie!

After dinner coffee was enjoyed in both screened porches (our sleep cabin and the other one down by the river) as we watched the sun go down and the stars appear.

Well, that wraps up for another year, a wonderful holiday in a perfectly enchanting place.
Tomorrow, my regular life will slam into me as always. Sigh...



Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

sounds, all-in-all, like a perfectly lovely vacation (despite the mice!).

I hope that wasn't your canoe wrapped around a rock.

Welcome back.

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still look cute in a bathing suit! And you caught some!

We saw a wonderful movie last night that made me thankful we only have black bears here and not grizzlies. The move "An Unfinished Life," is about grief, forgiveness, and family relationships. Very touching. (Although someone got mauled.)

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger GEWELS said...

Sounds like a perfectly relaxing week.
Look at your fish!!! That's awesome.
Glad you had a great time..hope "reality" eases back in, rather than slams.

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bob: Thanks! It was perfect. No, the canoe belonged to the Fishing Club and wasn't our personal one. Ours is a Chestnut Cedar Strip from a 1954 model called "Bob"! there wouldn't be much left of that!

Colleen: Aw, thanks Colleen! (Although I never think so!)We had good luck with the fish. I don't even eat it.

I LOVED that movie with Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford! I'm glad we don't have grizzlies here too!

Gewells: It was. Surprising how quickly you have to get back in the swing of routine. With me it's 3 doctor's appointments in 2 days!!!

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger Lynette said...

Moi, your photos are just stunning and this is the kind of trip that great memories are made from! What a pristine wilderness and I can just sigh and imagine how wonderful it was to sit out on that screened porch drinking coffee with your sisters after dinner. I love that turtle on a stump, awesome photo!!

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger Lynette said...

...and you do look very cute in your swim suit!! :D

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger Pauline said...

Glad you're back, rested, relaxed, and unmauled. Great photos!

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi ya 'Bush Lady'! What a smashing holiday! Kudos for your wild life family adventure minus those menace visitors!

I've kinship with lynx though I've not seen one in real life...next to lynx is leopard...these are my favorite animals in the wild.

Welcome back to real life!!!???!!!

Monday, August 27, 2007

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

NOW THATS SOME BIKE RIDE!
And what a great stringer of fish....I've been doing a lot of fishing lately, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth!

(Wait'll I tell MY "Wildlife" story)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 
Blogger TorAa said...

I really envy you for this trip into the wilderness (except for the Air Force) - With a canoe you come so close to nature in all it's beauty.
Strange to think how short it is then between, both in time and distance our modern, high tech world.

On Saturday, we too went canoeing - for one day only - 18 km away from the summerhouse, and there were no people at all.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bush Lady! For sure you've really had a great Quality Time in the outdoors!
As a Norwegian I just love this way of spending a vacation you know and actually quite a lot like we've been commenting together during my post of our adventures this summer. Canoing, fishing and living in this simple surroundings! Experience the beauty and quietness of the nature and also this animals (like the fox!).

I can tell your batteries are well charge to meet the regular life again:-)

Btw: Thanks for your visit and all the nice comments!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynette: Thanks! It is an awesome and peaceful place with all that nature could offer.

Pauline: Thanks! Yeah, nice not to be mauled as could have been the case for my husband!

Twilite: I'm not too fond of mice! I just googled Canadian Lynx and they're pretty neat! Wonder why you feel kinship with them?

Steve: Yeah, I read about that yucky taste in your mouth. Next time you say you've got a frog in your throat, I'll know you really mean it!.

Toraa: It's amazing how quiet it is far away into nature and especially in a canoe. You just glide. It is magical.

Renny: You're welcome! Love to hear about your life and I am glad you can relate to the canoeing and fishing I love. There's nothing tht rivals the calmness of it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What a wonderful time! Love the pictures - what a gorgeous sunset! It looks like you had a great time. (Sorry I've been absent for so long - I'm trying to get back into blogging here.)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 
Blogger Becky L said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE turtles. That one picture is so cute.

When my daughter is a tad bit older, we're going to get a pet turtle[s].

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Sound like a perfect time!! Glad it was good!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Hey, welcome back into it! Thanks! It was heaven and it's the best place I know for sunsets.

Becky: These weren't snappers but there are some of those too.

Mike: Thanks..it was really great!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 
Blogger goatman said...

Are there bullheads in that lake?

I think the jetplanes were buzzing you. I just attended a birthday for an old uncle who related the story of my dad buzzing his farm in a P51 in 1947 scaring the hell out of all the milk cows! I never had heard that story.

You drop by my blog and drop beautiful words at the drop of a hat.
Took me a week to come up with my lines. Must be an experience thing! Thanks

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Goatman: Not right where we are but further down the river, there are bullheads. Apparently, they taste great, but I am not a fish eater!

Well, those planes probably scared the heck out of the fish and turtles too!

Thank you. I think it's a neat challenge to add to something that's already there. Everyone has their own take on what it should be. I guess I have a lot of experience, especially since blogging and doing some "Poetry Friday" things and reading a lot of good poetry on the blogs. Some of it I don't even get, it's so deep and unique. Most of mine is pretty simple.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a most wonderful time (except for the mice) :-)

Thursday, August 30, 2007

 
Blogger Michele said...

Welcome home! Sounds like a fabulous time!

Friday, August 31, 2007

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi moi! Perhaps it's their grace and stealth that attracts me... beautiful and soft fur...don't possess or like wearing one though!

Friday, August 31, 2007

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

Wow, I really enjoyed your description and photos, MOI!! I haven't had a holiday this year, so it's so good to read about yours...made me feel I've been somewhere different :-)

The place looks as lovely as your pictures showed last year...no, better!! That turtle picture is amazing - I've never seen one like that...it looks like it's just stuck on top of that piece of wood, maybe learning how to do breaststroke?? :-D

And where is this butt (backside, as in) you're always talking about?? You are so slim and healthy looking...

Ah, I could sit and sigh over your pictures too. How amazing to see a lynx... it all sounds heavenly!

Glad to see you got back in one piece too...

Sunday, September 02, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Coll: I'm not fond of mice either. The snake numbers were down this year and they eat mice so I'm suddenly fond of snakes!


Rapunzel: Thanks! I visit in my mind all year long.

Twilite: Me neither. Petting my lynx-looking cat is suffice!

Annelisa: HA! My butt is hidden on my BACKside away from the camera! I do look kinda normal and healthy to most people...if only they knew what horrors lurk beneath!

Sunday, September 02, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home