Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Pivotal Christmas Moments

High-Keyed Time!

We arrived at my parents' at 11:30 a.m. and everyone was already there except my sister Joannie's son, Glenn who came later after working at Music World. We had the traditional cheese balls, crackers, egg salad sandwiches and these toasted cheese melts with walnuts that disappear immediately! Gotta get my mom's recipe for that!

The next few hours were spent talking to everyone, especially my nephew who has been working in Germany, and my niece, who has been in the States at school in Ohio and then in Houston. I hadn't seen them in a year. Then, Joannie's 26 year-old twins were so neat to talk with too. They're cute and bubbly and very entertaining!

My 87 year-old dad was in fine form and because it was so mild, he demanded that we all go outside in the back to have a group photo. It was priceless trying to get organized with the camera tech savy, and the "NOT SO" people setting up their cameras on the BBQ, trying to figure out how to set them on auto, and then attempting to run back into the photo in 10 seconds! Some were tripping over tree roots, the BBQ cover and even their own feet in the scramble! We had to do it about 6 times! It was absolutely hilarious!

As always, the present-opening was a hoot too. I wish you could have heard and seen the room filled with all these fun, lively people, cracking jokes and yelling out funny comments as we all revealed what was inside the wrapping . The room was just a'buzz. A sociogram exercise with the wool you see in the sociology textbooks would have been amazing!


And of course, after all was done, my dad handed out the traditional envelopes with their generous gift enclosed, in a manner of great ceremony and emotion. He got us all choked up as we watched his eyes tear up, saying how proud he and mom are of this wonderful family and how much they love us.

In the usual procession, we all went up one by one and hugged them both, and my dad got choked up even more, reaching for another kleenex. Naturally, this evoked the same response in us, as we all calmly looked around at each other, taking in and savouring the precious moment, now a freeze-frame in our memory.

That is always the pivotal moment of Christmas for each one of my family and this year was no exception.

Do you recall having any of those this Christmas or in the past?

Mother of Invention, cherishing my family even more now.

10 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Money giving is not a tradition in my family - although, occaisionally, gifts cards are given out.

I find Christmases to be getting better as I get older. Perhaps it is because everyone is independent and everyone can act as a giver, rather than relying on simly two people to do the giving.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet and NO!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely Christmas you had, and how beautifully described.... I felt there with you for a moment.

Christmases have been a very key-down affair for many years now. I saw my two sisters and their families on Boxing day, but most of my extended family are abroad, and have never really been part of the celebrations.

But my Christmas was nice enough (even though my older daughter wasn't there as was planned) and the kids had a good time. Come to think of it, I did too :-)

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

OK, since my comments are so highly prized I am gonna blog you with this one... thanks for asking!

I want to let you know that my very Literate Daughter is having quite a torturous time with "The Great Gatsby' Book Report that was due on December 18 that she started to read on the 18th. I had to call her Teacher, who was so very relieved to hear from me and get an extension. There has been much gnashing of teeth around our Christmas Tree and in an effort to put a little levity into the Drama, I have renamed the book "The Grape Gaspy"...I am sorry to say that it hasn't helped! This is what I did on Christmas Vacation, MOM, and I thought you would want to know! Steve, just thinkin' about shooting Bulletholes into all F. Scott Fitzgeralds Books!!! (even though its no fault of his own)

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Yes, you're right..and the "kids" are all working or finishing school so have joined in the drawing of names as has become our newer tradition.
The money my dad hands out is an extra because at 87, he figures he might as well give some now. It has become difficult for them to shop for us and it's too overwhelming for them to tackle that.

Old Lady: Yeah, it is kind of an unusual family and that has just struck me over the last few years.

Maybe you have just quick moments you just remember well of Christmas as a kid. I have many of those in my head that I could just climb into and re-live the feeling.

Annelisa: I did! Abroad, meaning here? Come on over! I'm glad you had a good time! Now you can relax until school starts up again.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Hey, how did your comment get on before my replies?!!

Aw, too bad I didn't live there. I might have been able to help her, although it's been awhile since I took that one in university. Rats! Poor kid. At least she got an extension and it's great the prof understands that she's basically a good student. Well, she DOES spend a lot of time with Band etc. so should be given some extra margin there.

Wish her luck on it!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This past thanksgiving runs close. We were down at my sister's house at the beach. My parents and my brother and his family were there. It's the first time in 4-5 years that the whole family has been under one roof. Lots of talking, laughing, hugs.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bob: Yours sounds like a loving family too! These get-togethers with everyone there are becoming harder to pull off since people get so spread out in different places.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time with your family. It's so good to cherish those moments and recognize the importance of family. I'm happy to hear you had a pleasant time at Christmas with everyone gathered together.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: It was perfect and I do so cherish those times.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home