Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Friday, December 15, 2006

63rd Wedding Anniversary!




My parents got married on December 15, 1943 so this is their 63rd. Truly amazing.
When my father found out he was being posted to England in two weeks, he phoned up my mom and said, "Let's get married next weekend!"

I guess many young couples were in that position then.....it was either now or perhaps never.
I think my mom was a gorgeous young girl and my dad quite a handsome man. They still make an eye-catching couple and look quite stunning when they get all dressed up in fancy clothes.

When they recently went on a cruise, the Captain greeted them at the door and told them they looked so elegant. They were invited to sit at his table the next night!


My mom and dad had three girls and they are very proud of each one of us. They have enjoyed watching five grandchildren grow up and come into their own. Mom is 85 and my dad is 87, and are lively, bright, intelligent people. Their health is still relatively good.

My dad will take mom to a wonderful dinner at the same high class restaurant they always have gone on this date. They will start with martinis and order rack of lamb. The conversation will be strong and the time together will be savoured.

I toast you, mom and dad on your 63rd! You have been truly blessed.

Mother of Invention, clinking my glass with yours!










22 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Marvelous! Especially as they sound like they can still cut a rug and turn heads. May we all be so lucky.

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

What a wonderful tribute! How very lucky indeed!

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too raise a glass to toast their 63rd anniversary. May they have many more.

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I've fallen behind on the 1,000 comments I'm writing. I appreciate your input at The Gonzo Papers; I'll be sure to visit you soon.

This one is easy, you have been tagged my friend! It's my first meme, 'Tis The Season

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pWonderful! Happy Anniversary to your parents and I hope they have many more they can enjoy together!

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks everyone! They're probably on their first martini now!

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that your parents are alive and loving life!

Friday, December 15, 2006

 
Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Happy Annivesary to your parents!

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 
Blogger Lynnea said...

Happy 63rd! I love stories of marriages that have stuck, its so lovely.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Congratulations to your parents for so many years together. I hope you got their long-life genes!

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks all! It is amazing when you think of how many don't make it that far with such zest for life. (Barbara, I doubt I inherited their long life genes, but I did hear of a breakthrough for a cure for diabetes so maybe I'll cash in on that part.)

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

Wow that is amazing. I have been married about 1/3 of what your folks have been married.

I hope we will be called a cute couple when we are that age.....Oh my husband retired last week. Now I am day dreaming

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 
Blogger Clive said...

Happy anniversary to Doug and Wilma. That's wonderful!

Saturday, December 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's an amazingly long and happy marriage - when you know it's possible like this, it gives hope for the rest of us!

Wish them a belated happy anniversary from England!

Sunday, December 17, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Thanks Lynn. It's a pretty long time! Now you have more time with Carl!

I'll pass that on, Clive!

Annelisa,here's hoping for you! You never know who is around the corner for you to meet! Maybe another blogger! It's probably happened! Thanks!

Sunday, December 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another blogger??? Have you seen how nuts we all are? :-D

Sunday, December 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi MoI:

Wow 63....puts things in perspective, doesn't it???

My husband will be limping into our 16th on Dec. 22.......this year it will be the winter's solstice.......I think we will return to the gardens and chapel we were married in.....a sentimental journey........congrats to your parents and you!

rdg

Monday, December 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Annelisa: Would make for an interesting home life!!

RDG: Thanks! Happy 16th on Dec. 22nd! (On my birthday too!) What a neat connective thing to do!

Monday, December 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 63 years! It is amazing! I am sure they'll have a lot to share how they keep their marriage lively and enjoyable - not only for themselves but also their children and grandchildren!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

feenyman: Yes, they've told us many! To keep each other guessing is one!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Wishing them a belated happy anniversary.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your mom looks totally beautiful! and your dad-smart. :)

it was lovely reading about them, thankyou for sharing.

cheers!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home