Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Monday, October 29, 2007

Black Cats And Pumpkins!

I love the look of fall and Hallowe'en at our front door. It just seems to beckon black cats. Soot, a little black cat we adopted as a kitten,was with us for 16 years! He did his share of hanging around the front porch in the sun by the pumpkins!




Twinkie, a very sweet black cat we had for 7 years, loved to hang out on the porch beside the pumpkin! I called her Twinkie because she had a soft white spot that reminded me of the icing you see when you bite into a Hostess Twinkie. Later, I found out that these cupcake things I was thinking of were really called King Dongs but I just couldn't see calling her that when she had already grown into a Twinkie! Imagine me calling her in at night, "Here, King Dong!" Nope, couldn't do it!











My first cat ever was a black cat that appeared on our curb my husband named, "Goblin". On his first Hallowe'en, he didn't know what to make of a Jack-o-lantern but he sure was curious as only cats can be so he stuck his head right inside!


Living on the main street, we don't get any kids trick-or-treating because kids who are really wanting the loot, hit the densely populated subdivisions, but it's fun to do the carving thing anyway. Ours is the standard as our parents used to do....the old triangles and square teeth....nothing like the fancy carving you see now!

Heck, I'd carve a pumpkin just to roast the seeds!

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger GEWELS said...

My very first pet as a child was a gorgeous black cat. His name...Blackie- heehee.

My Dad used to carve the best jack-o-lanterns. He used gourds to make noses and ears and brillo pads for mustaches. He was very clever back in the day.
My youngest son Dale became quite adept at carving witches and Frankenstein faces out of our pumpkins years ago.
This year I'll be carving and it will be triangular eyes and square toothy smiles.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

 
Blogger Lynette said...

Aww Twinkie is so adorable!! I love this time of year too, so many wonderful things...leaves turning magically, the holidays coming up, turkey and pumpking pie, the nights getting cooler, the stars getting brighter! ahhhh!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a photographic opportunity! The black cat with the pumpkin is classic!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Gewells:What an imaginative name! My husband's black dog was also a Blackie and a grey cat Smokey! I'm with you on the triangles!

Lynette: Yuo said it all!

Colleen: Yes, I always wanted to get the perfect October calendar picture!

Richard: Ah! You scared me!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Darling pictures of your Cat...Well, cats, really. I love that each liked the pumpkin!
If I am not mistaken those cookies were called DING DONGS, not King Dongs....though maybe in Canada they WERE King Dongs....LOL!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN, Anyway...!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I imagine the black cat sat on the porch with the pumpkin made the kids a bit wary! :)

Love the photos of your cats they're beautiful.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

 
Blogger gary rith said...

We live on a Main St too, so no goblins for the same reason. gee, is Halloween over already? Kinda looks wintry out there to, whereas yesterday was almost 70!

Thursday, November 01, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady of the Hills: Ys, you're right! Ding Dongs! Even a worse name to call "Twinkie"!

Akelamalu: hanks! yes, our porch looked classically spooky!

Gr: Main street usually gets a lot of eggs but none this year!

Thursday, November 01, 2007

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Now this is the look of Halloween. What a beautiful cat!

Thursday, November 01, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: The next cat I get is going to be black! I love them.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi MOI! I love roasted pumpkin seeds. What a nice fat black cat there! Mm...what contrasting colors of the cat and pumpkin!

Friday, November 02, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Twilite: Try roasting them with brown sugar and butter!

Friday, November 02, 2007

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi MOI! Thanks...I shall try that one day i.e. when I'm able to buy a pumpkin that has seeds. Do you know those that I buy here do not have seeds! Interesting huh?

Sunday, November 04, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Twilite: How weird! I wonder why?

Sunday, November 04, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black and pumpkin orange just go so well together. What lovely cats.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home