Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Easiest Turkey Dressing (Stuffing)

Making dressing (or stuffing) for a Thanksgiving turkey doesn't have to be a big production.. Today, I cooked 2 crockpots full of dressing for 14 people and we have about 1/2 crockpot left over for us. It's quick, easy, and you don't have to try and dig it out of the turkey! It is very moist and tastes great. And .....there is always enough! If you're dead set on stuffing the bird, it's a good way to make extra! A great idea for bringing to a dinner too.

I'm not a great cook by any means and I don't have many recipes to pass on to others, but this one's a winner. Try it for Thanksgiving or Christmas!


Crockpot Dressing

1 loaf of dressing bread or regular
½ cup margarine
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 beaten egg
1 ¼ cup chicken broth (use Oxo or Knorr powder and water)
Sauté onion and celery in margarine
Mix with egg
Season the bread the way you like
Pour the mixture over dry torn bread in crockpot (packed lightly) Mix
Put on high for 1 hour, then low for 4 hours.


Mother of Invention, looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow!

11 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Newton said...

Hope you had a wonderful feast and many leftovers. Happy T-day.

Monday, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Stephen: We sure did and are eating wonderful turkey sandwiches today as we drive through the country to see the leaves! Happy Columbus Day!

Monday, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I do that for my stuffing, too. Works great and you don't have to worry if you've gotten the internal temperature of the turkey high enough to kill all the germs.

Monday, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

Great idea, the crock pot. What a way to keep the stuffing moist.

Monday, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

We always use rice as our stuffing base. I can't recall a time anyone in my family has used bread. The basic recipe, sauf l'oeuf, is the same.

We always put the extra stuffing in a casserole and bake it during the last hour or so with drippings from the turkey.

I also like to use the drippings, instead of miil, to moisten mashed potatoes.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

That sounds good as well! Would the drippings have a lot of fat or would you cool and separate it?
We stuff Cornish hens with a rice/wild rice mix. We also stuff green peppers with bread dressing instead of the usual rice/ground beef....just a tradition from my parents, I actually love the traditional style.

Neat how each family has a little different twist on the classics!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

(Above was for Richard!) Oops!

Diana:I never even thought of that bonus! Guess you would as you'd see the fall-out effect coming in to your office the next day!!

Old Lady:Yep! Crockpots are great. I've recently brought back all kinds of recipes I used to use it for. Many are winter comfort food, split pea soup being a fav! Everyone got these in the 70's and 80's for wedding presents etc.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Personally, I do not separate the fat from the stock. On the other hand, my wife is obsessive about eliminating the fat. So how it gets done depends on who is doing the cooking. In reality, my wife is more likely to simply dissolve a bouillon cube for flavouring.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

Leads me to believe I'll be going grocery shopping...with stuffing on the menu this week. :-)

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: I'm with your healthy wife! I'm more aware of fat now big time!

Kilroy: Pre-Thanksgiving trial?!!!
Good that you'e willing to try new things.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

Sounds delicious!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home