Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Defining Me and My Style.....!



I'm probably the last one to do this but here I am.....!

1. PEOPLE: I am somewhat defined by my husband, friends and family, all of whom make up a huge part of my world. Fiercely loyal am I to them. I see myself in their reflection. My husband is my rock and is always there for me...kind, respectful and supportive. He "GETS" me!
My family is truly amazing...we all like being together and get along! They have been great models for me to emulate...all lucky to have been in stable marriages and successful careers.
My friends are numerous and long term, and I'm extremely adept at keeping in touch with as many as possible.

2. CAREER: Having always loved and been fascinated by children, I have had the opportunity of working as a Gr. 1-7 teacher for 26 years and at a private High School for students from Hong Kong for 3 years. I am told that I create a very warm, friendly, keen and inviting classroom environment in which children feel they can just be themselves. I let them know that they count. I have an easy, immediate rapport with most kids.

3. HEALTH: These issues do not totally define me but have certainly shaped my life. I have had Diabetes for 39 years and as a result, met life long friends while working at the summer camp for diabetic kids. This also brought me to teaching! I think I have handled the many resulting health problems (heart, eyes, nerves, not being able to have kids...) very well. It has humbled me but perhaps made me a little reticent to seek adventure or live on the wild side!

4. APPROACH: I am told that I always seem bubbly, lively and positive. My enthusiasm and sense of humour just ooze out naturally in my animated style of speech. I am fun, even when I am in a room by myself! My self-talk is amusing and I laugh often!


5. COMMITMENT: I am totally on board with what I chose to do and work very hard to do my best. But... I am somewhat hesitant to take on new challenges as I often lack the confidence and willingness to take risks. I am not a perfectionist but I like a job well done. Group work is great and I add fun to the activity.

6. MUSICALITY: Music has always been prominent in my life. I sing in a choir and have taught music to many classes. I have good rhythm, can sing in tune and play a little guitar. I think I was a tapdancer or stepdancer in my previous life! I loved Riverdance!


7. SELF EXPRESSION: Writing has always been an interest and my dad was a model for this as well as some great teachers and friends. I mostly write poetry but have written 3 songs, two of which are on a demo CD. I also LOVE getting dressed up and acting as different characters! My feelings run deep and I can be an ultra-sensitive person...both in my thoughts and dealings with others.

8. CATS: We never had pets in my childhood and I have become a lover of felines for the past 24 years. Having had no children, they are a huge part of my daily life! (lots of pics on this blog!)

9. FUNKY AND HIPPYISH: I love the long dresses and skirts! I wear lots of funky, chunky and clunky bangles, rings and necklaces! I wear high indoor boots with low heals a lot. I'm told that I can get away with almost anything because I set my own trend. I am actually a polarity of straight and conservative, and openminded and liberal...depends on the situation.

10. EARTHY: My husband and I are both quite grounded and want simple things in life. We spend most vacations at a log cabin where we canoe, fish and swim. (see Aug. posts for pics!) He is a chiropractor so we are both quite open to alternative health care.

I think that's it! Probably lots more I could tell you and I will if you ask!

Mother of Invention, scouting for photos to wrap it up!

26 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Can't seem to upload pictures today!!!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Blogger meno said...

I think it's great that you have discovered the joy of the cat.

I'm a cat nut too.

I look forward to the pictures. Blogger will behave someday, i think.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you might take your time, sweetie, but it was worth waiting for!

There was some stuff here that I hadn't picked up in the posts that I've read... eg about not having children, and so having a family of cats (though I knew you have cats (little nippers have been in and out the blog the whole time... and your actual url's a bit of a giveaway (felinehangout! :-D )

Your bubbly personality always comes through, and I could guess about you getting involved deeply, though funnily enough I didn't see you as hippy - but now the image is there, it fits like a glove!

And music-wise, you are definately under-rating yourself!! My daughter has now started singing your song as she does stuff round the house :-D... catchy little number! Can't wait to get it sorted!!!

You know what I'm going to challenge you to do, MOI? Because you're hesitant to take on new challenges, I dare you (no, double-dare you!) to learn how to play with a computer...and not worry that it'll all go wrong! Let's make it more specific, shall we? I challenge you to draw/ paint a picture in a computer graphic program (such as 'Paint') and put it on the blog!!! :-D Ha ha! reckon you could do it?

- You're so creative, I bet you could come up with something... :-D (if you don't do it, that's ok too, but I reckon you could enjoy it once you started...)

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating post. You revealed somethingn here, that allmost could have been written by my wife:

- No children (I have 4 from my former marriage; Anna and I will celebrate silverwedding this year)
- Schoolteacher - grade 1-10 (mostly 1-7)
- Cats
- Vacations in Summercabin, canoe, fishing, swimming + gardening
- Friends, creative, witty

etc etc

Have a fantastic week to come!!!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Mother of Invention: Wow! You finally did it! (After trying ALL day!)

Meno: Me too! They are my feline children!

Annelisa: yeah, I was born just a wee bit too late to be a REAL Hippy but I loved the clothes!

I'm touched and glad that your daughter finds my tune catchy and is singing it!

Tech challenge?! AW man! Do I even have that Paint program?!! You know of course, that if I do find it, I'll just draw a cat! I may have to draw one on paper and just scan it! That I think I can do! HA!

Toraa: Now that's really weird but neat! Quite a bit the same!
From the sounds of it, I think my husband and I would like life in Norway!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay..the meme!!

quite interesting to read! your polarity, you just dont fall into a particular set , you do what you think is right..ah I love that! too often, people believe they ought to think a certain way or believe certaint hings just because they've branded themselves..,liberal, conservative..:))

earthy...me too me too. although wish i had a log cabin! that sounds just sooo soothing.
oh..i wish you could upload your songs here.
but i like the first one best...your family. :))

Sunday, January 14, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh MoI

That meme was great to read........I felt as though I was reading a letter from a personal friend......in some strange way, I already 'knew' you; but it was all outlines - now you've painted in the details for me. Heartfelt, that's what this was.......now I'm definitely needing to rethink my own 'style' post as I just ripped it straight from the cuff of my shirt........! Your husband, your rock - that is a wondrous gift......and you so understand the pain (and lessons) of living with a chronic disease. Thank you for so much compassion. My children would love you!

rdg

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olive Oil! That is a great picture! I like you, have no children, except the furry four-legged kind. I would love to take my dogs on a cabin outing and may do so some day.

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these glimpses into the people whose blogs I frequent. Thank you.

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Mystic: Guess I am open-minded but actually not fiercely opinionated..I tend to see many sides before I take one.

I'm pretty real and down to earth...you could give me a lot of $$ and I'd like to think that I wouldn't really change that much. Maybe just go to more garage sales!!

We don't own the cabin...it's a fishing camp my husband belongs to and we get to use it in the summer. (Lots of pics on Aug. posts! Don't know how to link! Where's Annelisa when you need her?!)

RDG: Thanks....got my lead from our verbose friend, Annelisa!

Yes, my husband is an amazing gift I'm quite blessed to have. I tend to be a little too dependent on him.

I do so understand the chronic health issues and the pain they cause, although my pain is mostly physical and doesn't affect my behaviour quite so much as yours might sometimes, but it does all blend together under the same umbrella of "Dealing With The Gunky Hand Life Deals You"! Now there's a blog title!

I'm sure I would love your kids to! Thanks!

Old Lady: I loved that character, Olive Oil! It was so much fun playing her role at a summer camp people party! Everyone there is a ham. I'll post Fran Drescher (The Nanny) sometime..the voice was great and so annoying!!

I'd love to have a dog,too...maybe my felines might deign to associate and get along!

Bob: Thanks for enjoying this and apreciating the glimpse! It's a neat meme to do as the blogger too.

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Blogger Diana said...

I loved the pictures of you!

I also love the sort of boots you do. I'm wearing a pair at work today. Comfy. Toasty. Perfect. Ideal with my long skirt and soft sweater.

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: Thanks! The long dress/skirt with high boots best describes my stlye of clothes. I never felt quite right in the short skirt thing although I look okay in them, just not comfortable.

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been a strong advocate for children and find my own thoughts funny too! We have some similarities...you might have guessed. I'm upbeat but also protective of myself (for health reasons) and adventurously cautious!

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mother of invention, you sound like such an awesome, intelligent, caring, fun and loving person!! I'm enjoying reading your blog and looking at the photos, LOL love the pic of you dressed as Olive Oyl! Too fun! I just wanted to tell you that the poem 'kitchen' shows some very fine talent and I think many would love to have this hanging in their kitchen, I know I would, it evokes such a feeling of warmth, I love it! Cat nut here too, they are so fun to have in the house. :)

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Colleen: I am good material to poke fun at by myself! I do silly things but sometimes just I Lve Lucy calamities you just have to laugh at. I got this from my sister who is an extremely unique and funny person.

Yes, you'd never know by looking at us that we have Fibro/Chronic fatigue. I come off as very energetic...kind of like a cat though..spurts and then crash and burn! I'm pretty cautious now than ever.

Lynclay: Wow! Thank you for such nice thoughtful comments! OliveOil was a favourite role! I like being a goof! I naturally mimic people all the time. So do my mom and sisters.

Thanks for appreciating the poem..it was done quite quickly as a stream-of-conciousness and then refined a tad. I can e-mail it to you or feel free to copy it out nicely in an artistic way or calligraphy or whatever you want. Bet you could do a great art piece in warm tones to capture the feeling!

I do love my 2 calico girls! They are quite affectionate now that colder weather is here!

Monday, January 15, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-D verbose friend incoming....

I reckon, if you manage to draw a piccie of a cat and scan it, that would be great! (this I can't wait to see! :-) )

It'd definately be worth your while to learn the links, MOI. I've just been rooting through your archives, and there's such fun and interesting and lovely things back there! Here's the link you sent me for your canoe and fishing trip.

verbose friend off to get a cuppa tea and turn in for the night... well, if I don't get caught chatting somewhere else, that is :-) Catch you soon!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Believe me..you can wait for the cat pic! Gr. 1's are better!
Were those the directions for linking over at Steve's? I'll try it some day soon!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow nice piece. I learned alot!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynn: So did I learn a lot by doing this. It was neat trying to put my "self" down in capsule form.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is always an interesting exercise to look inward and find 10 things to describe about yourself. I enjoyed your list and really enjoyed the fact you wrote about creating an inviting atmosphere for children to be themselves. That is so important in learning. You must be a wonderful teacher.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) I can send you the same directions for linking I sent Steve, if you like :-)

Awww, gonna keep me waiting for the cat? No fair!

Thursday, January 18, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba: Thanks...I think that is the most important things of running a classroom. If kids really look forward to coming every day, then it sure makes the rest of it easier!

Annelisa: I copied them down from his site but have yet to try them! That cat is hard..my hands are too shaky to draw! Guess I'll have to just draw and scan!

Thursday, January 18, 2007

 
Blogger Richard said...

From your description you are much more outgoing than me (actually, I think most people are much more outgoing than me).

Thursday, January 18, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Yes, I probably am...What? You wouldn't dress up as Olive Oil?!!! HA! Popeye?

Thursday, January 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a problem with shaky hands too (it's a bummer when I want to do a close-up with the camera - all I get is blur :-( ) I think it's something to do with the thyroid thing...

Sent you the actual step-by-step I sent Steve... it's a lot easier than the muddled instructions I put in his comments!

If you can't manage the cat... hey, don't worry. Just say 'no'!! :-) [you can do that, you know... :-) ] But otherwise, the challenge still stands :-D lol!

Saturday, January 20, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You never know when you might see a cat here! (Might just be a photo! Learning how to upload a pic was major success for me!)

Sunday, January 21, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home