7 Things About Me Meme
Lynclay tagged me for this one. Go visit her site and see some great art!
You may or may not know these facts about me.
1. Speech Lessons: I took speech lessons from Gr. 2 -6 for a severe problem with pronouncing my "R's" as my tongue muscles were not fully developed. The first time I heard myself on an old 1950's reel-to-reel tape I said, "That gool talks funny."
I spent hours going over my speech sheets with my mom each night. She'd point to the words and pictures for "bell" and "bear" and they'd sound alike. You should have heard me try to say"whirlpool" and "squirrel"!! My sisters would tease me, telling me to say, "The early bird gets the worm." Of course, I'd comply and they'd break up into fits of laughter! I still have to think about "whirlpool"!
2. Blankie and Thumb: I was a thumb-sucker and carried a blankie named, "Ki-Ki Ni-Ni Williams". I sniffed the silk edging as I drew heavily on my thumb. I actually pushed my teeth inward and needed a bottom plate to push them back out. As always, this was the opposite to what happened with everyone else's buck teeth! Ki-Ki had all kinds of adventures which I should post about sometime. He apparently did some naughty things that my parents accused ME of doing!
3. Bible Camp: Before I became diabetic, I went to a religious camp from age 7-13. The first thing on the camp list was "Bible". We studied the Bible for 20 minutes every morning and night and an hour after breakfast. We had an hour long hymn sing after lunch on Sundays and that was after Chapel! I don't even go to church now but I sure learned some excellent songs at that camp which I constantly used in teaching.
4. Fish: I don't eat fish of any kind! I know, I'm weird but I can't get past the smell. Sometimes, on a particularly fishy day, I eat a tuna fish sandwich but it's got to be Cloverleaf Solid White with mayo on really fresh white bread and real butter!
5. I used to love fairs and exhibitions where I could go on rides and buy candy apples and cotton candy. I can hardly even stomach swings now and fair food has too much sugar for me...darn! I worked at The Food Building of The Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto for 3 summers.
6. As a kid, I was deathly afraid of thunder and lightning and I still don't like it. I was frightened of spiders and I still hate them. I used to have to see proof of their dead bodies BEFORE I watched them being flushed down the toilet. My poor dad! My POOR HUSBAND!
7. I am sorry to say that I am not an avid reader for some reason. I am slow and I always feel that I should be doing something else so the book has to really hook me before I finish it. It even takes me a long time to read blogs! (And to comment because I type very slowly, one finger at a time!)
8. I never had any pets while growing up because my mom was allergic to fur and feathers. My husband had had some so we adopted a black foundling kitten after being married 2 years and I've been a "cat lady" ever since. (I even wear all kinds of clunky funky earrings!)
(Yeah, I know, I can't count! And I'm not tagging anyone!)