Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

7 Things About Me Meme

Lynclay tagged me for this one. Go visit her site and see some great art!

You may or may not know these facts about me.

1. Speech Lessons: I took speech lessons from Gr. 2 -6 for a severe problem with pronouncing my "R's" as my tongue muscles were not fully developed. The first time I heard myself on an old 1950's reel-to-reel tape I said, "That gool talks funny."
I spent hours going over my speech sheets with my mom each night. She'd point to the words and pictures for "bell" and "bear" and they'd sound alike. You should have heard me try to say"whirlpool" and "squirrel"!! My sisters would tease me, telling me to say, "The early bird gets the worm." Of course, I'd comply and they'd break up into fits of laughter! I still have to think about "whirlpool"!

2. Blankie and Thumb: I was a thumb-sucker and carried a blankie named, "Ki-Ki Ni-Ni Williams". I sniffed the silk edging as I drew heavily on my thumb. I actually pushed my teeth inward and needed a bottom plate to push them back out. As always, this was the opposite to what happened with everyone else's buck teeth! Ki-Ki had all kinds of adventures which I should post about sometime. He apparently did some naughty things that my parents accused ME of doing!

3. Bible Camp: Before I became diabetic, I went to a religious camp from age 7-13. The first thing on the camp list was "Bible". We studied the Bible for 20 minutes every morning and night and an hour after breakfast. We had an hour long hymn sing after lunch on Sundays and that was after Chapel! I don't even go to church now but I sure learned some excellent songs at that camp which I constantly used in teaching.

4. Fish: I don't eat fish of any kind! I know, I'm weird but I can't get past the smell. Sometimes, on a particularly fishy day, I eat a tuna fish sandwich but it's got to be Cloverleaf Solid White with mayo on really fresh white bread and real butter!

5. I used to love fairs and exhibitions where I could go on rides and buy candy apples and cotton candy. I can hardly even stomach swings now and fair food has too much sugar for me...darn! I worked at The Food Building of The Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto for 3 summers.

6. As a kid, I was deathly afraid of thunder and lightning and I still don't like it. I was frightened of spiders and I still hate them. I used to have to see proof of their dead bodies BEFORE I watched them being flushed down the toilet. My poor dad! My POOR HUSBAND!

7. I am sorry to say that I am not an avid reader for some reason. I am slow and I always feel that I should be doing something else so the book has to really hook me before I finish it. It even takes me a long time to read blogs! (And to comment because I type very slowly, one finger at a time!)

8. I never had any pets while growing up because my mom was allergic to fur and feathers. My husband had had some so we adopted a black foundling kitten after being married 2 years and I've been a "cat lady" ever since. (I even wear all kinds of clunky funky earrings!)

(Yeah, I know, I can't count! And I'm not tagging anyone!)

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

Ah, you're the Cat Lady! Hee.

I'm with you about not eating fish. I just can't go there!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

 
Blogger Lynette said...

Thanks for sharing your facts M.O.I.! I know what you mean about being scared of spiders, eek and sometimes I feel compelled to paint them because it somehow takes some of the arachnophobia away. My daughter took speech lessons when she was little too. I love cats too and have one big old spoiled one in the house!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger brooksba said...

I'm with you about the spiders. I saw one at my dad's this weekend. It was already dead and I asked him to kill it again. Yuck!

I had speech lessons for a couple of months during first grade. I had trouble with "s". It was too long. But I only had to go a few times. That seemed a bit odd.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Diana said...

After decades of terror, I'm finally in a reasonable space with spiders, mostly because they eat the other creepy bugs. I can't watch/hear bugs of any sort be killed, though, because that 'crunch' sound makes me want to vomit and scream. So, I flee the room while someone else (Charles) takes care of the crawlie.

Can I have your fish? I could live on seafood, as long as it's fresh.

Now that I know that all your typing is one-fingered, I'm even more impressed with you!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Jocelyn: When we had to supervise kids' lunchroom, I just about gagged when someone had salmon sandwiches and I totally had to breathe in my turtleneck the day someone brought sardines!!

Lynclay: Face your fears through art! A great concept! (I could never see that movie!) I can picture a comfy cat curled up in a chair in your art studio!

Brooksba:That's a hoot! A re-kill! Do you ever have to think about your "s's"?

Diana: Why were so many girls afraid of spiders? Wonder if any men are?

Glad to give you all the fish you can eat! My poor husband loves it so he always orders it when we go out.

Yes, I am the slowest and make all kinds of mistakes!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger mystic rose said...

the first two are cuute!! wow.. got to know so much more about your personality that this is fun.. :)

moi,
the story on my blog is based on a legend in India, about a young girl named shakuntala, whom the then king married ina secret ceremony whne he saw he rint he forest. he had to leave, on urgent business and promised to send for her, she waited, expecting hia child, the ring he gave her, she lost, according tot he story that was recorded. when she wen tot se ehm he could not recognize her because of a curse that SHE was under, and she did not have the ring so he rejected her. Later the ring was found and he remembers the whole thing, she is living in the forest with her son Bharata, and the king finds her there and brings her back to the palace. He is much impressed by the valor of the little boy hwo he found riding on a tiger and palying with tiger cubs. so the legend goes. Bharata became the King and under his rule much of India was united, and India got its name original and traditional name, Bharat from him.

The title of my story Bharat mata.. would translate to Bharat's mother, and is the way we refer to Mother India, in Hindi.

This was my version of the story..

it is fairly popular and every Indian child knows it.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Mystic: Yes, the blankie stories feature prominently in my childhood and my poor sisters have a few gems of their own as does my mother!

Thank you for the explanation. Now I get it! What wonderful folklore you have! I learn a great deal about the Indian culture from you and many of your commenters.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Bob said...

my son had speech lessons in grade school. during his speech formative years his eustachian tubes stayed mostly clogged. by the time we knew it, it was too late and consequently he learned to speak like elmer fudd.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo! It is nice to know some bits about you. I am a thumb sucker until the age 6. My mom usually slaps my hand when I try putting my thumb in my mouth

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Interesting. I used to lisp and went to speech therapy in elementary school. I hadnt thought about that for a long time.

Miss Yolanda was the therapist.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger gary rith said...

I am so pleased that eve ifyou don't read other things, you read and comment at my blog. I appreciate it very much.
I didn't grow up with cats, but got one as an adult, and there is no turning back! Emily cat just jumped into my lap...

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger meno said...

I love the blanket name. My daughter's is Lammie and i had a friend whose blamket was named Bonking.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger GEWELS said...

Can I ask? What does being diabetic have to do with Bible camp? Did I miss something?

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Bob: I have actually heard that a lot during my teaching years. Many had to have tubes in their ears.

Chase: Aw! They had to pay me for not using Ki-Ki!

Janvangogh: I don't remember mine! A lisp is always sort of cute but not what I had.

Gr: Thanks for telling me that. I usually have something to say! I'm making up for all those years I couldn't talk!

Meno: At least it wasn't called Boinking!

Gewels: Good question! It resonates for me only as a time divider BD and AD! After I became diabetic, I could no longer go to the Bible camp since they would not take responsibility for my food/medical needs so I then went to a camp for Diabetic kids and afterwards I went as a counselor for 8 summers....a great life/career shaping experience.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger Barbara said...

The good news is you have all the time in the world to read and write Blogs.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 
Blogger GrizzBabe said...

What a creative blankie name! And it had a gender too. Impressive.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

 
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Oh, food at the fair! That smell of corn dogs and french fries and cotton candy...so overpowering that now even thinking about it makes me a bit queasy!

But I could still eat a corn dog about now....

Thursday, May 17, 2007

 
Blogger Michele said...

I'm ok with spiders, kinda have to be since my eldest daughter keeps tarantulas as pets! But, like you, I much prefer my kitties. :)

Thursday, May 17, 2007

 
Blogger twilite said...

Hi MOI! Thank you for sharing yourself through these memes.

You're a great person...using one-finger typing all these blogs! Wow! I take my hat to you Madam! Great patience.

Friday, May 18, 2007

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

I sucked my thumb until i was 11...drove my Dad nuts...too bad i wasn't draggin' a Blanket with a name around!
you should get you a little Cat Outfit like the Crazy Cat Lady i ran into that time. do you have Cat Glasses?

Friday, May 18, 2007

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Gret meme and a good way to know you even better.
Sorry you don't eat fish - how do we feed you when you are visiting Norway then LoL (I'm sure we'll find something good Viking traditionally food for you to eat anyway!)
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Friday, May 18, 2007

 
Blogger gary rith said...

You know, of all the blogs I read, you are the one blogger I havn't met I wish I could meet someday. You are so upbeat and fun.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Yes, that wouldn't happen if I were working! But as you're finding out, time gets filled with lots of other things.

Grizz: Yeah, I was an imaginative kid and it's funny Ki-Ki was a boy, I was dependent on him as I am with the "boy" in my life now!

Mona: I was addicted to all junky stuff. You probably have more fairs etc. down in the States than we do here.

Rapunzel: Holy Moly! I'd have to move out or find another place for my daughter and pet to live!!

Twilite: Thanks! I'm the slowest but I persist if it's something I really want to do.

Steve: Aw, man! Ki-ki and your blankie could have been friends! 11 years old?? I thought I was a suck! Glad to hear it! I don't have cat glasses but I have tons of earrings and mugs.

Renny: I know..all your good cooking fish posts are lost on me! Well, chicken's good in Norway, isn't it?

Gr: AW! Thanks! It's fun going over to your blog. You share so much and we can feel your kind sweet spirit through your words and pics. I am usually pretty upbeat, especially if I'm not battling any health gunk.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home