Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The 5 Question Interview Meme

Pauline’s questions for MOI....!



1. Is there an item in your household you could not do without? Name it and tell why.

Well, it's a toss-up between my bed and the washer! I love my bed and without it, or any bed, my back would be a mess. But, we do so much laundry with my husband's chiropractic home business and our own needs, it would be a total drag and time loss to have to take it to the laundry mat! We'd have to lug around heavy towels and gowns..yuck! Washer wins!

2. If you could have a day-long discussion with three people, who would they be and what would you talk about?

This was the most difficult question, Pauline! I purposely did not choose a famous writer, musician or an historical figure as I 'd be too inhibited to discuss things and they would not have a meaningful or personal connection to my life. I'm all about the people who are close to me.

1. My grandmother who lived from 1898 till 1981: I would ask her about all the different phases of her life and what life was like for her as a little girl, a young married woman, mother, and then a widow. I'd ask her about her daily chores, her response to sex and what it was like for her, her strong faith in Jesus, and what she felt were her accomplishments. I'd ask her about her parents, my father as a young kid, her friends, and her greatest joy in her life.

2. My Father: He was born in 1919 and was a pilot in WW II. I'd ask him all about his life as a kid, the war, how he felt about his parents, my mom, us kids, his philosophy of life, his faith, his Guardian Spirits he has heard speak, and his love for the people in his life. I'd ask him questions #3, #4, and #5 of this meme!

3. My mother and her identical mirror image twin sister, my aunt: These girls are fascinating! I always thought I had two moms, they are so much alike! They are both turning 86 next week and have worked all their lives , unusual for women of their generation. I'd ask them what it was like living through the war and having husbands overseas, and how being twins affected them. These gals are very chatty so I'm sure we'd talk about anything and everything!


3. What would you change about the way the world works?

This could never really happen...in a perfect ideal world perhaps, but I'd eliminate borders, money /capitalism, and have only one religion. This would allow for more peace because all wars have been rooted in the quest for ownership of land and resources, as well as religious freedom. Everyone would simply share the world and all it has to offer us with faith in the same creator. On a smaller scale, we would not look at each other so differently and be affected by quests for materialistic things and money. We'd be much happier!

4. How do you spend your free time?


An easy one! I lead an extremely simple life and I'm no longer teaching so much of my time is already free! Here's the list:

  • sing in choirs and listen to music, play guitar
  • exercise for 45 minutes most days....Nordic Walking, swimming, canoeing, biking
  • some reading...papers, books, mags, BLOGS!
  • writing and Blogging!
  • volunteer in Gr. 3 reading program 1 morning/week
  • some TV....Grey's Anatomy, Friends, Oprah, Ellen
  • garage sales, flea markets, 2nd hand stores, giftie type shops (I buy a lot for other people and have a whole gift section in my attic!)
  • play with my kitties
  • take photos
  • connect with people! This is a big one and should head the list! The people in my life are THE most important thing to me. (Of course, I don't know how to get a bullet if I go back to the top!) I am constantly e-mailing, phoning, and meeting my family and friends for lunches, dinners and coffee.



5. What do you believe in passionately?

Having just highlighted this in the last answer, I must say that I believe that family and the relationships we form with others in this world are the most important things when the chips are down. It is the special things we do for each other that are truly meaningful. To spin off this, I think that living by the Golden Rule is the ultimate credo that we should all adopt. It is the basis of all religions, even though each one may word it differently. For me, I think we should all strive to treat each other and this earth with a spiritually kind attitude. We should accept others for who they are and realize they are probably doing the best they can. If we have ill feelings towards anyone for whatever reason, we can take a step back, think of acceptance and The Golden Rule, and the bad feelings should dissipate more smoothly and hopefully evaporate. I don't like having jagged edges in my heart.


Bonus question: If you had to give up one of your senses, which would it be?
(Ah, spoken like a true teacher, Pauline! I always put a bonus!)

It would definitely be my taste! It is inconceivable to me to live without sight and next worst would be no sound. I was going to say smell, but 75% of our taste comes from our sense of smell anyway so you might actually not miss it too much if you still had olfactory glands working. It would be just plain weird and horrible to live in a soundless world. I would miss music, people talking, and yes, even and my cat's constant meowing!

Thanks, Pauline! If anyone would like to do this meme, I'm suggesting that you look around at various posts that did this, (some are: Pauline, Barbara, Meno, Old, Old Lady of the Hills) and come up with 5 questions (and maybe a bonus!) that you can answer to reveal some interesting things about you.....

Any regrets in decisions you made in your life? What are they?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

If you could change anything about your childhood, what would it be?

How did you get into blogging?

Who are 3 people you love to spend time with? Tell why and what you do.




Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger RennyBA said...

Great meme and another good way getting to know you even better.

I do agree in your passionately believe. That's why I say make blogs not wars:-)

I also liked that you wanted to talk to your grandmother. When thinking of it, I miss those talk I had with her when I was little and how exciting it was to hear about the days when she was a child and grew up.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

 
Blogger Richard said...

1) My kids. They are the only thing in this world that are truly mine, that are of me.

2) Picking 3 people to talk with is mostly hard. But my choice would be: (1) my friend Megumi. We lost touch about 12 years ago. What would we talk about? What do friends ever talk about? Nothing and everything. (2) Michealangelo. I would want to know how he managed to persevere in doing the commissioned work he hated. (3) Orson Welles and how he managed to persevere in an environment he apparently loathed.

3) What would I do if I was the despotic, genocidal ruler of the world? There is no doubt that this is a loaded question, which is all too easy to answer with simple the simple platitudes of peace and harmony. (1) eliminate borders, free mobility must not be denied anyone, (2) people must to respect the personal space and privacy of others (i.e. you cannot intrude into another’s auditory, visual, tactile or olfactory spaces), (3) forbid hoarding of resources, (4) disallow pollution (this is really the same as (2), you can’t live upstream of someone and dump waste into the water supply), (5) people have a live and let live attitude. Maybe we don’t like your kind of behaviour in our community, but we are not averse to you leaving and setting up your own community, (6) people work and live cooperatively without coercion, evangelization or peer pressure, (7) people do not work against one another. (8) human excellence must be the goal of all. In short, my perfect world is a Utopian Anarchy

4) How do I spend my free time? Unwisely. Mostly reading and dreaming.

5) I believe in the respect, the dignity and worth of each individual. I believe it is the moral obligation of each individual to do good and not harm, to live to the fullness of their potential.

Which sense would I give up? I think it would be hearing. I need to be able to see to read. Living without touch would be dangerous - and hugs just wouldn't be the same. And I enjoy eating too much to give up taste and smell.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

 
Blogger Pauline said...

Ah, MOI - this was great - thanks for participating! I love that you would talk with your parents and grandmother...

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

 
Blogger Barbara said...

You are really a people-person! The only thing I might disagree with is the idea that the world might be better off with one religion. I know religious differences have been the cause of so much conflict, but the idea of everyone believing the same thing seems so boring and uninteresting. I definitely agree with the sense of smell being the least important of the 5 senses. Kudos to Pauline for yet another round of good questions.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

 
Blogger TopChamp said...

Hello... What's nordic walking? Just wondered - nice interview!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Gattina said...

I think I could never live without a dishwasher, lol ! I would prefer to sleep on the floor.
I don't remember either when I put my comment on your blog, is your eye OK now ?
How I run my 4 blogs ? That's easy, I write daily in my main blog Writer Cramps" and "My Cats and funny stories" (but that's mostly pictures) The photo blog only twice a week and the paintings once in a blue moon when I have something to show. First I had one blog with everthing together, but I had to split it. Too much items. Some people are not interested in cats, some not in paintings or photos. That's why it looks as if I had a lot of work, lol !

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Michele said...

What interesting reponses, Mother of Invention! You are a fascinating lady. :)

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Bob said...

I like the 5 question meme, it gives a direct insight into the writer that takes time to cull from their posts.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Renny:Thanks for reading all this! Yes, I'm glad I did it...I learned about what I thought about these things and am glad to share them with blog friends. I'm glad you agreed on those 2!


Richard: I was going to put my husband and cats for #1 but figured they'd not be seen as "items"! On 2nd thought, when couples get together and say, "We're an item", I could say my husband because we're still an item!!

My next coice in discussion for a day was going to be a good friend who I haven't seen for awhile and lots of catching up to do.
There is a theme with your last 2, sounds like you are not really content with what you do in your work,and are looking for ways to deal with it because you don't feel it can change...a Catch 22 certainly.

I love your ideas to #3...all in alignment with my beliefs but expanded in better detail.

Reading is not a waste of time...you love it and learn a great deal...food for your mind, which in turn, you share with us and others, who all benefit. I wish I read more but I just don't make it a priority I guess.

Love your #5 too. We have to have moral standards on how we treat the world and the people in it.

Thanks Richard! You are such an interesting person and give me a more rounded view of just about everything, but actually on this one, we're much the same.

Pauline: Was neat to do...I even asked my husband what he'd put so I learned a little more about his sometimes unexpressed thoughts.
Yes, I should have asked my grandma more while she was here.

Barbara: Thanks for responding! Yep, I'm well "peoplefied"! It just makes me feel connected to everything.

Well, the one religion thing will never happen, but if it did, I guess we could still have our own spins on it and interpretation as well as unique relationship with that Creator deep in our souls.

Pauline had some great questions for you, too!

Top Champ: Nordic Walking or Urban Poling as it is also called, is simply walking on pavement around a town with poles like ski poles, which is a better workout because it gets the heart rate up. I did a post with pics I'll try to send as I don't know how to link within comments!

Gattina: Still, you are a busy gal keeping all that going. I love your paintings and pics of cats!

My one eye is having a lot of black floaters which is not good as it can be a sign of more bleeding and/or retinal detachment. I'm getting it checked by my surgeon on June 4...hope it doesn't get worse before then.

Rapunzel: Thanks..yes, it's great that we're all so diffeent and that we can share a slice of life with each other.

Bob: Thanks...so when will you do it?!! While Laura's away? You get to choose the questions!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger mystic rose said...

thats a great tag! and I loved you answeres, moi!! esp the ones you would like to spend a day with.. i think i would have chosen along similar lines.. yes, i would want to hold on ot sight and sound as long as possible.. :) and the others as well, but thos eowul dbe the most i miss..

you ARE busy! i hardly watch tv, in fact almost never, even wathcing movies is getting to be a chore nowadays becos i get so restless... :)

definitely one religions and no borders would do the trick.. :)

to anser your question, no i odnt do muchof art.. i woudl love to though.. i used to do some sketching, and play the veena, a south indian instrument, i used to dance as well,.. not anymore .. :)

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I always wish I watched more TV and movies so I know what the heck everyone else is talking about!

I'm not that busy considering I don't work at all, but busy enough for me, considering that I have numerous health issues and have so many doctor's appointments to go to.

Why don't you dance anymore or play the veena anymore? Too busy? Too Old?!! HA! What is a veena like? Is it stringed? Woodwind?

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger gary rith said...

It is obvious you like to connect with folks AND read blogs,andI am so glad you do!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Gr:

Thanks! And I live for the people in my life...um....and a few felines too! At university, I used to just go on breaks with people, even if I'd just had one!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great meme. And, your answers are very thoughtful. I feel I know you quite well at this point. I'm siding with Barbara on the religion question despite the wars and killings in the name of religion. The various flavors add so much to our cultures and ways of understanding the world and dealing with each other.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I enjoyed these answers, as they really did open up new parts of you to us readers.

I couldn't do without our high-end espresso maker; my addiction to the daily mocha is fierce.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

Hi MOI

I have a few thoughts on your meme.. firstly that it was interesting and enjoyable to read your answers.

Secondly, when I saw that about your mum and aunt, it made me wonder if she's developing the same memory problem as your mum?

On your 'one religion/ one world'... I certainly like the idea that borders would disappear, but I have to say I love the variety of different religions, races and what each can add to the flavour of life. I do wish for more tolerance though....

(oh, I just read over the other comments, and see I'm not the only one with this view :-) )

Have a great day!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger fennymun said...

Hi MOI, I enjoy going through your answers, very interesting and full of wisdom, indeed. I guess that's what make one's life more interesting - exporing and expanding one's interests, having friends around.... Thanks for sharing!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

David: Yes, I think I am easy to get to know since I'm fairly open. I see where you, Barbara, and Annelisa are coming from on the diverse religion. We'll probably never find out what all being one religion would be like....it may not make things smoother at all..guess we should just concentrate on tolerance for the many we have already.


Jocelyn: Ah, you're hooked on java in its purest form!

Annelisa: Thanks..yes, I'm watching for signs in my aunt too. It certainly is a strong possibility, but I don't see much yet that couldn't be put own to aging.

As I said to David, I see your point too, it's just my idealistic mind thinking that we fight over tolerance as well as money and ownership, so if we were rid of those , we might be more unified in our world view and underlying vision. It might be 1 more thing that we'd be together on to help us get along. We'd still have to work on race, colour and cultural issues, and maybe that's a big enough struggle without throwing in religion, but maybe not. I've never understood religious wars..they seem to contradict every aspect of any religion.

Fennymun: Thanks. We certainly do get a slice of someone else's life when we explore them from all angles.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

I know what you mean about religion ... it certainly does seem a contradiction between the belief and the action.

But, if you were to have only one religion, who would choose which one? It would start the most major fight in history, methinks...

Sunday, May 13, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

AL: I uess all the different Gods and Creators would have to Duke it out up there somewhere! Now I'd want ringside seats to that one!!

Monday, May 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home