Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Poetry Friday: Cookies!



Mona's daughter gave us the word this week and she's writing her own story so check it out!
I did some "Cookie" writing and singing with Gr. 1's and 2's last year and here's what we came up with:
Cookies in the mornin'
Cookies in the evenin'
Cookies at suppertime
I just love my cookies
I think they're mighty fine!
(This is sung to the famous tune of "Sugar in the mornin'...." but they can make up their own tunes and the rest of the class has to echo what has just been sung. Good music skill to observe!)
This next one can be used as a clapping game or you can get out the skipping ropes!
You can make up a simple tune to this using basic guitar chords like D, G,A, C and F. Perhaps some kids could make their own tunes to these words. This works well in Gr. 2/3. I'd also hand out some rhythm instruments and teach them the Beat of the song (the underlying pulse) and then I'd show them how the Rhythm (tapping to each syllable of a word)was different from the Beat.
Cookies in the bakery,
Cookies in the store,
Cookies on the cookie sheets.
Bake me some more!
Mix it up, crack an egg,
Add a cup of butter,
Drop a glob or roll them out
And use a cookie cutter.
Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip,
Oatmeal, Macaroon,
These are all my favourites
So make me some soon!
Naturally, you start by brainstorming ideas and then progress to printing out lines on huge chart paper. You colour code rhyming words and mark the beat with accent marks above the parts of words. The kids would practise this every day until they know it, before you start making up clapping games and using instruments. It's a great multi-purpose lesson which integrates many skills; reading, writing, spelling, language (syllables) singing, elements of music, movement, participation and group/partner skills.
Wow! This is all bringing it back to me what I've done for the past 27 years!
Mother of Invention, missing teaching music just a little bit!

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger TorAa said...

Wonderful entry. I love it. This is really great. Stimulates the students fantasy in an intelligent manner. And they will never forget.

Have Fun Friday

Thursday, February 22, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had had a great music teacher like you. This sounds like an amazing and fun way to teach music to young kids.

I "tagged" you today (or whatever the right blog terminology is).

Thursday, February 22, 2007

 
Blogger TopChamp said...

It is great when you make up songs with kids - and they are good ideas to make it useful educationally too! (taking notes in jam-packed cheeseholey brain to try this).

Thursday, February 22, 2007

 
Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Your cookie photos are making me drool! And I will have that song in my head all day long!

(drooool....)

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger brooksba said...

Now I want some cookies! What a fun "batch" of lessons for the kids.

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

'its one for the honey
Two for the Dough
Three to get cookin'
Now go cat, go
but don't you step on
My Lorna Doones
You can do anything, but
Lay offa my lorna Doones"

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

hahah-haaahah-hahahah
I'm a music teacher now...

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Toraa: Thanks! Stimulates my fantasy too...of eating all the cookies I want and not gaining any weight!!

David: Thanks! I did try to make it fun and the best part of the younger kids is that they buy into anything you do...Gr.8's? No thanks!

Topchamp: You are so musical I imagine you could do tons of stuff like this. Kids also love songs when they get to fill in a word they make up or a song that you choose their names to be in. It gives them ownership and connection...and sometimes it's just plain and silly fun!

Mona: You know that tune? I thought you'd be too young! I love your daughter's entry!

Brooksba: Ah, that's a good one! Thanks!

Steve: Aw man, I want YOU in my class! You must remember this ad: "Fly to the moon for Lorna Doone!" What the heck were those cookies like? Fig Newtons? I forget!

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Barbara said...

Music was my favorite class in school. Our Mrs. Hendrix never did anything as creative as you, but it was still fun and a nice escape from the drudgery of learning the multiplication tables and grammar rules. Did you serve cookies when you sang about them? Did you sing about veggies too?

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Old Lady said...

So where's my cookie?

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Diana said...

Now I want some cookies, too. Never mind that I just had a chocolate truffle...

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Lynette said...

oooooh what a delicious post m.o.i. your photos and poem actually made my mouth water!! Are those second ones with the litle crisscrosses peanut butter? Yuuuummmmmy!! I think it may be time to bake some cookies, I've been craving some oatmeal raisin cookies. :)

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: I loved my Gr. 4 and my Gr. 7 music teachers! They turned me on to music.
Yep, we did used to make cookies as a follow-up, but now you can't make any peanut butter cookies in schol because of allergies. At Thanksgiving and Harvest, we did a vegetable soup song and had a veggie tasting session and made Stone Soup!

Old Lady: Ya gotta come to class and sing the song!

Diana: We'll be doing a chocolate theme at Easter!

Lynclay: Peanut Butter cookies' tell-tale sign, the fork press! Home made are so much better than store-bought!

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Abigail S said...

You just gave me some great ideas! I can definitely rework some ofthose things to gear towards Kindergarten kids. Thanks!

Friday, February 23, 2007

 
Blogger Michele said...

you brought back wonderful memories of my own music teacher, Mrs. Bartholf. She was the single largest influence on my young life, educationally and beyond. She taught me so much more than music, just an amazing woman, a true gentle spirit. I have never forgotten her.

Also, I'm heading to the kitchen, gotta make some cookies!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

 
Blogger RennyBA said...

Hmmm chocolate chip cookies! And since I've got my lovely American wife in my life, I've been fortuned to have them home made. Your poem takes the taste to a new dimension - like I've said before: Wish I had a teacher like you!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend:-)

Saturday, February 24, 2007

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

Mmmmmm... cookies!

That's made my mouth water! I can so imagine you working out the song, then running it to production, MOI - the teaching world must miss you horribly... and all the kids that haven't got you for a teacher!!

Well, I hope other teachers might be reading and putting your ideas into action - that would be cool...

Now, must remember to get some cookie ingredients tomorrow!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

 
Blogger gary rith said...

Wish you had been my teacher.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Abigail: Great to have a reader who can and will actually use these ideas! Good Luck!

Rapunzel:That is so neat that she was that much of an influence. I hope you tell her that some day!
Enjoy the cookies!

Renny: Thanks so much for your kind words! You are spoiled more than my husband with all Diane's home cookin'!

Annelisa: Thanks! I am told that the kids miss me and every Thurs. when I go to help, some ask me when I'm coming back to do music. I should really prcrice the guitar and go over for a few sing-songs.

Gr: AW! You get to move into the front seat on the carpet and I'm giving you EXTRA cookies for snack time!!!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home