Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Up On The Roof!







Guess what's going on at my house? To the tune of the post title and $8600? Puts a whole new spin on the words, "putting a roof over our heads"!

The team of four arrived at 7:00 a.m. to wake us up abruptly. Good thing this is a young crew because our house is old and it has incredibly steep slopes. It is is 3 floors due to the full height attic. The noise has been unsettling to say the least. Ask my cats! They've been slinking around inside and out as if they're trying to hug the ground and cover their heads with their paws! They're at a loss as to where to go.

First, it was the thudding noise of simply delivering all the materials and depositing them in the driveway. Next, it was the pulling off of all the old shingles and hurling them in the general vicinity of the dumpster. A few may have gone sailing into the neighbour's yard at which their ferocious rottweiler demonstrated his definite disapproval. (After ten minutes of fierce growling, I dare say that some of these shingles might have been expertly aimed! This is one mean unfriendly canine!)
Finally, the pounding of hammers, securing the new shingles pierced the otherwise tranquil sunny day.

I went up to the attic to get wrapping paper and was surprised to find out that I could actually see the sky between the exposed wooden slats! Just then, an onslaught of black material the size of small pebbles came hurtling through that space onto the floor. Yikes! I did a dramatic rescue of my clothes hanging up all across the width of the room on the suspended metal pole. By throwing blankets and sheets I'd quickly grabbed from the baskets nearby, no great damage was done. Just the thought of black bits of tar marking my brand new coral sundress from Coldwater Creek hastened my mission!

All this going on overhead while deep in the bowels of the basement, there were patients trying to relax and revel in the glory of deep massage treatments! Hmmmm...hopefully, none went out with migraines they never even had when they arrived!

Only a few more days they said. Well, I'd like to believe it, but as the forecast calls for a heavy rain all today, I'll be given a reprieve anyway.


Mother of Invention, thinking we should be good to go for another 18 years after it's finished.....and wondering where my cats are hiding!!

18 Comments:

Blogger brooksba said...

A new roof will be nice and I hope they complete it soon.

I love Coldwater Creek! They have awesome clothes!

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger Pauline said...

No insulation in that attic? Aren't your winters colder than cold? Makes me shiver just to think of it...hope the job is done soon and that your household can settle into normal again.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scaredy cats! I have a couple that are master cabinet door openers. Mine go there when they are scared!

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Brooksba:
It is raining so they're not here! Delay!
CC online outlet clothes are a really excellent deal! I don't even mind paying the exchange on US $$$!

Pauline:
Yes, our winters are way past freezing but this attic is just a bonus fllor for storage...very hot in summer and freezing in winter. We could finish it by putting insulation, drywall and heating etc., but it's just the two of us and we don't need the space. All my teaching stuff is up there! I'm trying to downsize it!

Old Lady:
They are the worst! They hate change but soon adapt. When we got 2 new lazy-boy chairs, they freaked! Just yesterday, I saw one braving a nap on one of them!! (Well, the sun was shining on it, making it a prime snoozing location!)

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

A day of rain and open slats to the sky don't sound like good partners. Maybe you should conveniently find someplace to go during the day when the noise is so bad. That's a lot of money, but you do what you have to do to have a sound roof over your head.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

Wow that is nearly twice what I paid for my roof. I replaced the shingles and had them hammer not staple. Oh you will notice a difference this winter.

I have created a swap for women and men to participate in. It is a cheapy one, yet will be fun.
Wanna join The Three Pin Shuffle?

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

That is a steep price for a steep roof. I am pretty when we had the roof done a few years back, it was less than half that. Of course, all depends on how much roof you have.

Did you know that roofs are not designed to be waterproof, just reasonably water repellant. Their primary function is to direct water away from the inside of the house.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger meno said...

Oh the joys of home ownership!

I wonder why people own unpleasant dogs. Poor thing, he'd probably bored.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Seems to be no way around it!

Lynn: The price is in line with other estimates. These guys don't just put them on top of old shingles, they strip it right down. A young crew will do the steep slopes of older houses, an older crew won't touch it.

Richard: Yes, it is and hence the steep price, plus it's a 3800 sq. foot building so a lot of raw materials. It has weird angles too and an add on of the summer bedroom. One of those things we just had to grimace and do!

Nope, I did not know that fact, Richard! Do they do that on purpose so they eventually leak?!!!!

Meno: The infamous list on the fridge for an old house!

The dog NEVER gets walked! He is very territorial and I would never trust him.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog!

Friday, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

As far as I know, it is because your house needs to breath. If the roof covering was completely impermeable, the wood underneath couldn't breath and would rot. You also have soffits and other ventilators in the attic to help vent moisture out of the house and keep the roof from rotting on you. Too much ventilation and you lose a lot of heat in the winter. Too little ventilation and moisture accumulates in the attic.

Friday, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Colleen: Yep, that's where those wonderfeul rooms are! My husband works with two different therapists so that there's 0ne here every day.

Richard: I get it now! So they're not all out to scam us!

Friday, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

I have done roofs and Tile.... there is no such thing as "Waterproof"
Mom... I just finished reading all about Lancasters... what a great plane with a most interesting History... did your Pop happen to participate in the Post War Bread Drops? I assume his plane was Canadian built. Forgive me for being stuck in old business...

Friday, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Steve: They didn't come again, today as it's raining!

I'm seeing my dad on Sun. and I'll ask him. Somehow I don't think he did the bread drops because I never heard about it. His basement has many framed pics of tis plane and others. He is especially proud of the Lancaster though. He did some of his training at Base Borden, then was posted to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Think his Squadron was #429

Friday, November 17, 2006

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

Sounds like you got a lot on your hands where the house is concerned (headache as well as backache? not good!)

So, from your description, apart from both our houses being brick, there's absolutely no similarity at all! (Mine's a tiny, 3-bed, woodcutter's cottage - with great views :-))

Good luck with getting it finished - these roof guys aren't always the quickest on earth! :-)

Saturday, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Annelisa: But it looks big from the picture! You're lucky to have great views. Ours is on a main street! Well, one of the roofers is handsome so that improved the view quite a bit! HA!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

It's the Daily Double!

What is,
A song by James Taylor?
Alex.

Yes, Up On The Roof! That's correct.
Now you're only down $1,000,000...
And you control the board.

8-)
{Thankfully, at least I find these comments funny; but then, I'm stoned.}

Monday, November 20, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Kilroy: Thankfully, I don't need to be stoned to find the humour! I was singing this song throughout posting it! Nobody does it better, (Hey, Carly!) than JT!

Monday, November 20, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home