Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Monday, November 13, 2006

Completion







Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my Remembrance Day post. It was very special to me and I was very pleased to hear what you all thought.

My father has passed on his love for expressing himself in writing and has been a good model for me to emulate. He always encouraged me and guided me through many early grade school assignments. I was lucky to have his influence in my formative years.

A most interesting development occurred today as a result of my e-mailing the post to my nephew, who works for Maple Leaf Meats in Hamburg, Germany. As you may know, this area was heavily bombed and they virtually had to rebuild the city. Ironically, my father flew his crew over this area where they carried out several bombing missions.

In sharing this post with his German colleagues, my nephew wasn't sure what their reaction would be. He was surprised to find out that many were supportive and one in particular said, "Thank your grandfather. He helped save our country from a horrible fate and a monstrous man."

My nephew then decided to phone my dad in Canada and relate all that had transpired. You can imagine how touched he was that his grandson was proud enough to share the post, but moreover, that a young German person would thank him for the part he played in the Allied Forces. I'm sure my father must have felt validated and gratified that his efforts as a bomber pilot in a terrible war had come full circle.

And after all, isn't that what this life is all about?


Mother of Invention, completing the circle.

19 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

This is so true. Germany is so wounded by the war. There are tributes in every city to what it meant to the folks in Germany to deal with the Canadians and Americans. In resale shops the #1 item to sell and to aquire or collect are ration tins. I remember walking through so many cities in Germany and seeing these big tins with words like Potatoes printed on them. These were rations dropped from Canadian and American planes for the people of Germany who were cut off from the world during war.

Monday, November 13, 2006

 
Blogger brooksba said...

What a charming thing for the young German to say. I'm off to read your post about Rememberance Day now.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Lynnea said...

Isn't it awesome the way blogs bring people from all around the world closer?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Lynn:
Wow! I didn't know about the ration tins. It's nice to know how they feel about us. Thanks.

Brooksba:
Yes, it was surprising to me.

Maggie: It is so amazing the ripple effect a blog has!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Barbara said...

You can now think of yourself as an ambassador for world peace! It's nice when things like this can come full circle. The Germans should not have to bear the burden forever for what an earlier generation did.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was an interesting circle.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger meno said...

Well damn, now i'm sniffling. And what maggie said.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Hey, a nice way to think about it! Guess I was a cog in the wheel at least. No they shouldn't be ashamed.

Old Lady: Yeah..pretty cool ...the dots were all connecting yesterday!

Meno: AW! Blogging does allow for such things to happen! And I thought I just blogged for myself!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool that the circle has been closed. I find that happening for me a lot lately.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

It all kind of hurts my head, war is such a complicated thing. I know in the long run, big picture, they were right, of course, to fight their fight but it is always hard to imagine the innocent people who get harmed with bombs. I mean, I really dislike Bush, but I don't want to get bombed...
I honestly mean no disrespect, I just find it hard to wrap my head around it all.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger David Edward said...

God bless the men ( and women) who served, who fought, who won!
( thanks dad!)

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Stephen: It's as if it's orchestrated from beyond sometimes. It must make you feel that things are right for you now. Hope so!

Bobealia: Yes, I know what you mean. They lived in a time though, that we can't really ever understand. years later, the german people themselves realized what was happening.

David: You've got it! Thanks for your visit and comment!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger fennymun said...

Isn't it amazing that the young German could thank your dad?! While I was studying history in college, I was always wondering how the Germans nowadays would think about that period of their past. Heard some stories about neo-nazism as well. Anyway, we all learn from our past and should not be burdened by it.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 
Blogger Lynn said...

Would you be able to come over and visit my blog and help me help a friend?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Fennyman: I totally agree. It wasn't their fauly directly. It was amazing and I was surprised.

Lynn: Done! No problem! She's very cute!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

The few Germans I've met have all felt the same way about the war - they don't really like to talk about it because it leaves a bad taste in their mouths.

From someone I knew in Germany, they live in dread of the same thing happening again, and their is a feeling that it's always 'there'. Most weren't born then. Most would wish it never happened.

As you say, it's very touching for someone from that country to show appreciation for being 'rescued' from a worse fate. Losing the war was good for them too (in more ways than one - their financial and business developement have been so successful).


And forgiveness is such an opening and relieving thing...

Saturday, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Annelisa: (I forgot to put your name on a few I've already done but you get it!)
It is a relief that forgiveness can be mutual. We shouldn't have generalized that German people were evil just because their leader was.

It was a great thing for their country. The reasons for fighting this war were valid.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Trying to print these!

Sunday, November 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home