Me, spilling out all my thoughts, inner and outer, on just about anything! Lots of poetry, short stories from past experiences, anecdotes about teaching elementary school, music, relationships....garage sale type thing...Something For Everyone!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Worth Pondering About Human Nature?

I get a lot of dumb junky e-mail things but the odd time I can relate to some of the content. What follows are some thoughts that just relate to human nature and I'm wondering if you too, have done any of these or have wondered the same thing? We could all probably add some so please do if you think of any!


Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries might be getting weak? This is so true! I do this. Maybe I don't think I've pressed hard enough. Same with the camera batteries. Even though it says empty, somehow I think it might allow just 1 more quick pic!

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check
when you say the paint is wet? You could see how often people do this if you set up a Candid camera!

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle it comes in? I actually never wondered that until now. Guess I just know there's some substance in it that prevents this.


Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white? Never wondered this but I can see how someone did, and it would be neat if the bubbles were coloured! Someone who read this is probably trying to figure out a way to produce and market it!

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance? I pledge guilty! Until I got Centra-Vac, I did this quite a bit!

Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end on your first try? I have dexterity problems with my hands so try several times to get these open at the produce section of the grocery store! I even asked someone for help once!

How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures? When I'm lying face up on the chiropractic table, I have wondered this. We have live ones too! My cats sit and watch the ladybugs and flies move around for hours! My husband has to vacuum them out often.


I have this one to add: Why is it that we actually watch a TV screen when it's only the satellite radio? Are we so conditioned to a boob-tube that we can't believe there would be no picture? My husband walks by the room and actually stops to peer in at it! Mind you, we just got the satellite a year ago and haven't used the radio much so this is quite foreign to us!


Mother of Invention, wondering if you can relate to any of these or add to them.

20 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

I got that one a while back. It does make one think. But who can count all those stars!!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Old Lady: Yeah, but it's interesting when you recognize yourself in some! Human nature is so weird sometimes! I loved Candid Camera with Alan Funt! Remember?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why when something has gone rotten and someone says "ewwwww smell this!" you do. How about using the remote as a phone and the phone as a remote?

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Colleen: Those are good ones! I have so many old remotes around, why don't I just throw them out?! I need the ones like keys where you clap and they beep telling you where they are! Same for cell and portable phones!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle it comes in? Different glues bind to different things, so putting a glue that binds wood and paper in a plastic bottle makes sense. As well, there are the conditions required for curing the glue. If it dependson solvent evaporation, then keeping it in a sealed container will keep it from sticking.

Why are bubbles always white? Actually, they are transparent (imagine blowing a big bubble) since they are very thin - one layer of soap, a layer of water, a layer of soap. The whiteness occurs because of random reflection and refraction of light which sums up to give a white effect. I doubt very much that you would like to have coloured bubbles, since the dye would colour your skin. However, somebody has invented coloured bubbles.

I only give a piece of noticeable dirt 2 or 3 passes with the vacuum cleaner before picking it up or sucking it up with the hose.

I press harder on the remote buttons because I think something may have been spilled under the keypad and interfering with the contact. If I know the batteries are dead, then I either change them or get up and change channels manually.

I never take anything anyone tells me on faith, I always question it.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: I just knew you'd know this! I almost wrote right in the post that Richard will know! Thanks! Does even crazy glue only stick to certain things or is their claim true that it'll glue anything? They probably don't put it in bottles.

Makes sense the white bubbles but I'm checking out that coloured bubble link! Cool!

I spilled orange pop on a calculator once and had to press the buttons many times forever after that because they got stuck.

And I figured you always question everything you hear. Good way to be and you take the time to check things out on your own. Not many do! I try to question things more mow or at least ask some other people what they think if I figure they are up on that stuff.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger bulletholes said...

Get off of couch, open refrigerator, looking, looking, nope...go to cabinet... we're looking, we're looking...nope.
Back to the refrigerator...Oh, well.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Richard said...

Be sure to check out this site if you need to glue stuff together. As well, it contains a wealth of information on adhesives.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Steve: That's the story of my life! I don't know who would be putting surprise treats in there if it wasn't me, but still I check!
And if you looked up at something at a corner, everyone would automatically look up too, even if there wasn't anything there! A great Candid Camera moment!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger meno said...

And why doesn't the permanent press seting on my iron work as promised? I always have to iron things again!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Lynnea said...

MOI, I'm guilty of the vacuum cleaner. I've been known to pick up a lint that is unreachable in a corner and put it down where the vacuum can suck it up - lazy dumby.

To Colleen, my two-year-old does this. He recenlty learned playing phone and uses his toy remote as a phone. I can see where they look alike!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Bobealia... said...

I have answers!

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries might be getting weak?
Sometimes it's not the batteries that are dead, it's that the connection is weak or interupted, so pressing harder on the buttons can sometimes connect the batteries better and therefore make it work... So, it's always worth a try!

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle it comes in?
Well, glue sticks as it dries, right? So, if the glue cap is on, it keeps the glue from drying out. Ever left the cap off? Eventually, the entire bottle will stick to the inside when it dries out.


Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white?
Someone did this! It was around when i was young. There was purple, yellow, blue, and red. It dyed the bathwater but not skin. I don't understand why that worked.

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Because sometimes it works!!!

How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures?
They were born there.

Here's mine:
Where do the all the missing socks go?

Thursday, October 19, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Meno: I thought you weren't ever have to iron those! I've been wrongly imPRESSED all these years!

Maggie: I do that too, the few times I do vacuum! Especially with those little dustbuster things that hardly pick up anything!
Go to Colleen's blog, Loose Leaf Papers, on my sidebar. You'll love it! She's a wonderful writer and published author with interesting life stories.

Bobealia: Wow! You did homework! Thansk! Did you google? Read Richard's comment and see the links he's got for bubbles and glue. I'm gettin' me some of them cool bubbles!

Good age old question about the perpetual missing socks! The Large Black Hole in the dryer!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

 
Blogger Diana said...

Sadly, I can say that I choose the 'correct' end of the plastic bag the first time but still can't get it to open until I've turned it over, been unable to open the bottom and turned it back before I can get it open. Of course, by then I've dropped at least one of what I was putting in there to start with. Bah.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Diana: That is so true! Happens all the time to me and I end up asking the produce kid/guy nearby what the trick is!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Re: Coloured Bubbles!

The site link that Richard left on the coloured bubbles (Zubbles) is very cool! I e-mailed them to find out where I can get them. They wil be available in 2007! Thanks Richard!

Thursday, October 19, 2006

 
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I'm about due to post a new questionnaire. I think this has the potential to serve as a starting point. Maybe we should collaborate on a list? 8-)

Monday, October 23, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Kilroy:

Do you mean a starting point for your 2nd year of blogging? Are you hoping each reader will do it? What will it mainly be about? I've never made up one but you're welcome to pick my brain. Are you asking each regular reader to submit one?

Monday, October 23, 2006

 
Blogger Annelisa said...

These were ones I got in a recent email:

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Like this post - people do such funny things, don't they!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

 
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Annelisa: Yes, these are funny. Sometimes you actually get intriguing ideas from E-mail!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home